[Rfu-barnraising] wireless

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Wed Sep 28 18:29:19 CDT 2005

A key question:
Does RFU want to stream its signal, and what impact will streaming
have on our budget etc?

Personally, a chunk of my current academic research is focused on the
conceptual challenges webstreaming and digitisation of radio can pose
for radio, particularly non-commercial and community radio.

Separately, streaming raises questions about license fees and
continued maintenance of the web interface.

I understand the desire to create a link between the WiFi and radio
ends of the barnraising, and I'm also aware of some of the arguments
made in favour of streaming by some WRFU members. I'd like to draw
attention, however, to the fact that streaming is not necessarily
unproblematic from either a practical or intellectual/conceptual
viewpoint.

Andrew

On 28 MFómh 2005, at 18:18, Danielle Chynoweth wrote:

> i talked to dave young who is the technical lead for (CUWiN). i
> asked dave
> three questions about wireless at the barnraising since we need to
> spend some time figuring out how to bring wireless into the fold.
> i know
> sascha has already send some ideas to the list.  what follows are
> additional ideas (in QA format):
>
> DC: What can volunteers do to help build wireless capacity at the
> barnraising?
>
> DY:
> 1) Set up wireless access to the IMC DSL line through the IMC
> building.
> 2) Set up a node on the 35' RFU antenna on the roof.
> 3) Perhaps the city could use help constructing their nodes, although
> volunteers some times fuck it up, like they did during our node
> construction party on a fraction of our nodes.
>
> DC: What role do you want to play at the barnraising?
>
> DY: Offer a DIY networking workshop - a whimsical look at crazy
> shit you
> can do with wireless, cable, and internet protocol.  I do not want
> to put
> out fires when shit doesn't work.
>
> DC: Will the CUWiN network (see http://meshsandbox.com/cuwin.html)
> be able
> to stream the RFU signal on November 13th so we can demonstrate LPFM
> broadcasting over a local wireless mesh network?
>
> DY: Probably.  We need to bring someone with audio streaming
> expertise in
> and test it at the end of October.
>
> - danielle

Andrew Ó Baoill
- -
Inst. of Communications Research, U. of Illinois
Communications / Participatory media / Political action
- -
andrew at funferal.org / baoillo at uiuc.edu
aim: funferal at mac.com
+353-87-241-7003 / +1-(217) 384-3142