[UC-ODDMUSIC] otonal dulcimer in progress, et cet.

Andrew Heathwaite gtrpkt at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 31 15:26:57 CST 2010

Greetings Oddites,

O O's

Tonight happens, naturally, Office Hours in room 21A of th IMC from 7pm to 9:30.

otonal dulcimer

Jacob Barton will be out-of-town tonight, & it's my intention to do some work on refretting a lap dulcimer to a scale consisting of overtones 12 thru 24, repeating at th octave.  It's th same scale that our electric organ is tuned to (which Jacob obtained & retuned some years ago & Ben Michaelis recently spruced up with a new switch & some dandy electrical tape).  You may have heard this instrument in performance at the House Theater in December for our finale, Is What You See What You See, words by Michael Gaiuranos.

At this point, I'm marking fret locations with a pencil.  I doubt I'll get around to supergluing frets tonight, unless I go into th wee hours.  If you'd like to see this project-in-progress, then do visit.  Bring your own something-or-another, if you'd like to do a quiet working-on in good company.

MTMO in 2010

Tomorrow, Monday, we'll host our second Meeting to Make Oddmusic in 2010, in which we splatter our project ideas together, figure out ways that they can befriend & nest each other, & start building a calendar.  You're invited!  We'll go from 5:30 to 7pm in th Oddmusic space at th IMC.

(I was delighted to find out last night about a meeting that took place last Monday in Chicagoland (co-incident with th first MTMO) with some friends of ours interested in making connections to th paradigm-smashing work of microtonal composition & visual art.  Jacob & I have been talking about putting together an Oddmusic Gallery Exhibit later in th year, & I'm excited to participate in further conversations about visual analogues to musical ideas.)

newcal

& typing of calendars, we've started maintaining a public calendar thru Google, which you can peer at here.  I think it would be a piece of cake for you to subscribe to th calendar in order to keep up-to-date on upcomings.  Also, if you are involved with organizing Oddmusicky things & want to have access to th calendar as editor, get in touch!

Bestwishingyou,
Andrew

believed to be clean.