[UC-ODDMUSIC] Blame Not my Lute

Chris Vaisvil chrisvaisvil at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 13:56:17 CDT 2011

Hello,

Today I have an interesting composition, sound and music video, to share
with you. Jukka-Pekka Kervinen and I collaborated to create this
composition.
For me, personally, the video turned into an anti-war video - with the lute
asking not to be blamed for the destruction and insanity of war portrayed in
the video

Details, online play, and video embed http://chrisvaisvil.com/?p=1313
Download audio
http://micro.soonlabel.com/just/Chalmer%20TriadicAggregate/jukka_collab_sega_Blame_Not_my_Lute.mp3
Download (270 meg) HQ video
http://clones.soonlabel.com/public/video/lute.wmv
Video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW68p1aWmXg

Here is what Jukka did: All music, both Sega MP3 and MIDI files are
algorithmic compositions based on few probability distibutions controlling a
group of parameters. MP3 is made by Sega Genesis which contain Yamaha YM2612
FM-chip. The chip is controlled by a program I've written which manipulates
directly the sound registers of the chip. MIDI files are generated by a
program which produces note and duration events according few constrains and
distributions, best expression I've heard so far is a term coined by
composer/mathematician John Myhill, 'controlled indeterminacy'.

What I did: The concept of the piece was to attempt to combine circuit
bending with orchestral instrumentation. Jukka provided 2 circuit bent
tracks and 3 multilayered midi files in 113 cent, 103 cent and 89 cent
tuning when rendered as circuit bent audio. I choose the tuning ( John
Chalmer's  Triadic Aggregate-19 see below ) and instrumentation which
consists of strings, brass, woodwinds, reeds, percussion, upright fretless
jazz bass, and Chinese cymbals. Additionally I added various modulation
effects to Jukka's audio.

There are some more details on the blog such as links to the text of the
poem and other resources.

Thanks,

Chris