[Vip-daycare] Volunteering opportunities :D

VIP Daycare vip.daycare at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 17:27:07 CST 2010

Hey Volunteers.

Thanks for turning up to our orientation nights. With a new director and
some new coordinators for this semester VIP Day Care is all pumped up to
give you the best of volunteering opportunities and provide you with a
rewarding and enjoyable volunteering experience. Below are some details of
the wonderful organizations we ll be working with. You can have a look and
choose whichever organization you ll like to work with. After you have done
that please contact the coordinators responsible for the organization you'll
like to work with and let them know that you are interested. You can address
any questions you have to the coordinators or to me directly at *
vip.daycare at gmail.com*

     *VIP DAY CARE*

*TB Testing *

Before volunteers can start volunteering, they are required to get a TB
(tuberculosis) test done. This is required by some of the agencies. This can
be done at McKinley for free. No appointments are required. This test is
done at the immunization center where you will receive a shot for a skin
test and you will have to go back 2-3 days later to be evaluated.  After
being evaluated you will receive a verification paper, which you need to
bring with you the first time that you volunteer.  To get more information
just call *333-2700*

* *

*Center for Women in Transition*

Center for Women in Transition is a local home for women who are coming from
difficult situations. The home takes in women for two years and helps them
get back on their feet. Most of the women who are accepted into CWIT have
kids and part of this agency’s program is to plan activities for the
children to do in their spare time.  Children range from babies all the way
up to pre-teens. Volunteers for CWT require TB testing. Men are encouraged
to volunteer here so that they can provide a positive male image to the
children. They have two playgroup times where VIP can volunteer:

            Tuesday mornings 9am-10:30 am
            Thursday evenings 6pm-8:00pm

Transportation will be provided to students volunteering with CWT. Our
coordinator for CWT is *Julie Guzman*, (♫ guzman14 at illinois.edu)

* *

*Crisis Nursery*

Crisis Nursery is a center where parents can drop off their children last
minute when something comes up in their life and they need to have someone
care for their children for a short period of time.  They are open Monday
through Sunday from 7-10.  When volunteering at this agency you will be
assigned a child that is your responsibility.  The children are often coming
to the nursery from traumatic situations and are in need of extra special
care.  Volunteers have to attend an orientation and have a background check
done. Orientation should take about an hour and a half.  At the orientation
every volunteer will be given forms to fill out. These are just background
checks and should not take more than 10 mins to fill.  Crisis Nursery is not
located on campus; however there is public transportation that can get
volunteers there. Or you could also walk, its 5 blocks north of Goodwin and
Green. Volunteers are required to have TB testing.

Our Coordinator for Crisis Nursery is *Katie Webber* (webber2 at illinois.edu)

 *
*

*Marilyn Queller Child Care Center*

MQCCC serves children ages six weeks to five years from low-income
households in which parent(s) is/are working or attending school. Childcare
fees are sliding fee scale based on income and family size. During the
morning hours the teachers have planned activities for the children to do.
After nap time the children may go outside or they might have a structured
free time. A volunteer may be asked to center or the water table. VIP might
have some planned activities that they would probably like to do for the
kids. The volunteers would be assisting the teachers in the classroom and
outside on the playground. One or two vol. will be assigned to the Birth to
Three programs and one or two to the preschool program. The center is open
11 hours a day 6:30 am - 5:30 pm M-F. The best times are 6:30 am - 12 noon &
2:30 - 5:30 pm. All volunteers must have a TB test prior to starting.  You
can get there by taking 6E orange from the Union. We’ll be having a
particular volunteering slot for this agency where you’ll be provided
transportation back and forth. Besides that you could take public
transportation, you could take the 6E orange or 5E green.

Our coordinator for MQCCC is *Chloe Richter* (richter5 at illinois.edu)

*Campus Cooperative Preschool *

* *

It is on the corner of Green and Goodwin connected to the Methodist Church
(it is in walking distance). Volunteers are needed MWF only in the mornings
from around 8-12 since school is only half the day there. Volunteers help
the preschool and pre-K
teachers with activities. So it is perfect for those looking to go into
something in the lines of Education/Child development. Volunteers play
games, read, do arts and crafts, etc. with the children. The 5 Green bus
will take you to this location or one can walk if they would like to, it’s
about a 10 minute walk east down Green Street. Usually volunteers volunteer
about 2 hours per week (1 shift per week). But if a volunteer would like to
volunteer more than that they are more than welcome to.

Our coordinator for Campus Cooperative Preschool is *Mallory Burns *     (
mkburns2 at illinois.edu)

*Real Life Teen Mom’s program*

Real Life Teen Mom’s program is the latest connection of VIP Day Care. We
usually help out in the daycare center on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Monday of
every month, while teenage moms are in meetings. This gives the mothers a
chance to pay attention in the meetings and not worry about their children.
We also host themed events at this agency at least once a semester. We
provide transportation to this agency. **

Our coordinator is *Brittany Simon*  ([image:
https://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif]simon20 at illinois.edu)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It ll be great if you can get back to coordinators at the earliest, because
we would like to start our volunteering projects by next week. Hope there
are enough options for you. We will be having more opportunities for one
time events later on in the semester.  Also you can now find us on facebook
" Volunteer Illini Projects: Day Care" and keep a track of all the cool
stuff we'll be doing this semester.

Have a great weekend :)

Niharika

VIP Day Care Director