[Volunteers] Office of Volunteer Programs Weekly Update (4/17/02):

Sascha Meinrath meinrath at uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 17 16:24:42 CDT 2002

Hi all,

It's Spring!  The time when we all curse our studies, close our books,
damn our readings, and forget our other obligations -- if just for a
moment, hour, or afternoon -- and enjoy the beautiful weather, the
warmth... ahhhhhhhhhhh.  (Come on now, say it with me...
"ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!")

With my own 40-50 page research paper due in less than a week, I often
find myself wondering... "How can I procrastinate without guilt?".  Thus,
this week only, I give you: "SEVEN GUILT-FREE PROCRASTINATION TECHNIQUES
FOR THE SOCIALLY MINDED SLACKER!"

1. March of Dimes Walk -- Sunday, April 28th, registration begins at 12:30
and walk begins at 1:30. This 10K walk is at Centennial Park Ask that each
walker pays or gets donations of $25.  Can either walk by yourself or get
a team together. For registration call either Jennifer Topp at 278-7547 or
Elizabeth Reeves at 359-6326.  More info is also available at:
http://www.cuvolunteer.org/find/opp_profile.phtml?oid=606

2. HERE OVER THE SUMMER? The Champaign County SAFE KIDS Coalition is in
need of volunteers for their annual Playing It Safe event.  This event is
held in conjunction with Day At The Park, Saturday, July 20 from 10 until
4pm. Please email Jessica Brown <jmhessbrown at hotmail.com> or call her at
328-4500 ext. 191.

3. I vant...to suck...your blood...ahh, ahhh, ahhhhhhhhhh.  There's a
blood drive until Friday April 19th from 10am-4pm in room 314 of the
Illini Union.  Give the gift of life.

4.  The Champaign County Health Care Consumers (CCHCC) will be holding a
volunteer training session for new Consumer Health Hotline Advocates.
CCHCC Hotline Advocates work with consumers having problems with any part
of the health care system including: billing disputes, local health care
agency information, finding affordable dental care, and prescription drug
assistance. Volunteering for the Hotline is a great way to learn about the
health care system and provide an important, direct service to people in
the community. Volunteers gain problem solving skills and help empower
consumers throughout the community.  The next Training Session is:
Wednesday, May 1, 2002 at the CCHCC's Office 44 E. Main St.  Suite 208
from 6:30-9:00 p.m. >>>>>DINNER IS PROVIDED<<<<< Please contact Amy at
352-6533 for more information.

5. Jo Hopkins with RSVP (Retired Senior Volunteer Programs) at 359-6500 is
looking for one-time volunteers to help seniors with a variety of
things.  For example, I know there is one man that needs help with some
tree limbs in his yard.  If you would like to help seniors with these
one-time volunteer opportunities, please contact Jo Hopkins.

6. MOVIE BUFFS WANTED!!!  The Roger Ebert Overlooked Film Festival is
looking for volunteers to help do crowd control, concessions, ushers,
stage door attendants, merchandise sales, passholder registration and
check-in, VIP registraction and check-in, etc. etc. etc.  They're looking
for over 175 people, so if you're a big group, here's the opportunity
you've been waiting for.  Contact sgrey61 at hotmail.com if you'd like to
help out.

Tell them the Office of Volunteer Programs sent you,

--Sascha Meinrath
Office of Volunteer Programs

Phone#: 333-7424
E-mail: ovp at uiuc.edu
Office: 295 Illini Union

p.s. if you noticed there's only 6 guilt-free procrastination
techniques... i blame the weather.