[Volunteers] OVP Weekly Volunteer Opportunity E-mail (10/30/02):

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Wed Oct 30 12:04:41 CST 2002

Afternoon all!

Table of Contents:
1. Project SEARCH
2. Habitat for Humanity
3. PEACE CORPS
4. The Reading Group
5. Students Against Multiple Sclerosis (SAMS)
6. Coalition for Community Kids in Care
7. Alternative Spring Break
8. Habitat for Humanity and Points of Light Foundation
9. Daffodil Days
10. OVP Online Volunteer Survey

***

1. Project SEARCH, an outreach program through the Departments of
Chemistry and Bioengineering, aims to improve the quality of science
education throughout Champaign-Urbana.  Register for 2 hours of course
credit (call # 01923) and teach for two hours weekly.  You provide the
enthusiasm, we'll provide the guidance, and together, we can change the
face of education. Meetings are on alternate Tuesdays 5-6:20 162 Noyes,
call #: 01923, and most importantly No teaching experience necessary!
Questions: email Aparna Puppala at puppala at uiuc.edu or Marissa Zoladz at
zoladz at uiuc.edu

2. HABITAT FOR HUMANITY!!!  This year, the student chapter at U of I is
fortunate enough to be building a house! The house is located in Urbana
and is already well underway.  They are focusing a lot of effort on
fundraising events this year in order to fund the house. We need
volunteers to use a clicker to count the number of people entering the
Illini Union (sounds like fun to me!) for THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 7th.  They
also need 12 volunteers a shift for 17-18 one-hour long shifts.  Email
rjgraham at uiuc.edu OR wsoohoo at uiuc.edu with your name, email address, phone
number, and shift(s) also shifts run on the 1/2 hr (ex. 5:30-6:30).

3. PEACE CORPS is having information sessions and video presentations
Tuesday November 5 (6:00-7:30pm Illini Union 405) and Thursday November 21
(6:00-7:30pm Illini Union 210).  For more information contact Nicole
Lamers lamers at uiuc.edu and Bruce Canetti canetti at uiuc.edu.

4. "The Reading Group" needs volunteers to help sort and box books in
preparation for delivery to several child-friendly educational
organizations in Urbana.  This will be held on November 5th (1-4pm), 8th
(8-Noon, 1-4pm), and 9th (8-noon).  Contact Marilyn Kay at (217) 367-0914.

5. Students Against Multiple Sclerosis (SAMS) needs people to sell raffle
and pass out flyers to fundraise for multiple sclerosis on Mon 10/28 thru
Thurs (10/31) from 11-3pm.  Contact Nsangou Ghogomu nghogomu at uiuc.edu.

6. Coalition for Community Kids in Care sponsors various activities
throughout the year to promote awareness of the need for homes for these
children.  They are currently in the process of a campaign to recruit
foster homes for teens.  They have 3,000 doorknob hangers with our teen
recruitment message that we would like to disburse to residences in the
Champaign-Urbana area.  They've identified specific neighborhoods in which
we would like to place this information and need lots of people-power to
accomplish this enormous task. Contact Barb Bressner by pager
1-800-802-3538 (include your phone number) or by cell phone (217)
390-3501.

7. It's not too late to apply!!  Alternative Spring Break (ASB) is
accepting applications through noon, Monday November 4 at the front desk
of the University YMCA.  We are offering 16 domestic trips with issues
including the environment, Native Americans, HIV/AIDS, domestic violence,
substance abuse and many others.  For past ASB participants there are two
international trips to Juarez, Mexico and Guatemala.  Cost is only $200
for domestic trips and scholarships are offered.  For more information or
to obtain an application visit our website at www.uiuc.edu/ro/asb or visit
cube # 38 in room 280 Illini Union.  Adresses questions to Craig
Williamson, cwillmsn at uiuc.edu, and Amber Grove, agrove at uiuc.edu.

8. Another Habitat for Humanity project!  Habitat for Humanity of
Champaign and Piatt Counties is partnering with the Points of Lights
Foundation in honoring the memory of Paul Hughes, a University of Illinois
graduate who died during 9/11 World Trade Center tragedy.  The community
event on Nov. 8 from noon to midnight and Nov 9 from 8am to midnight needs
people to clean, paint, and refurbish their warehouse at 40 East
University Ave, Champaign.  Call 355-6460 or email at habitat1 at soltec.net
with your availability or further information.

9. Daffodil Days with American Cancer Society is hosting an event of
selling daffodils -- dollars raised through the sales of daffodils support
groundbreaking research, education reinforcing the importance of early
detection, advocacy and patient services.  Volunteers are needed to help
sell, get sponsors, deliver flowers, take orders, help package the flowers
once they arrive, help get supplies, or even just make one phone call.
Contace Melissa Zakroczymski at 378-4194 or 621-4281 (cell).

10. The Office of Volunteer Programs is conducting a short survey to
understand why students volunteer.  Please take the few minutes to fill
out this short survey at:
http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/resources/survey.htm.  If you have any
questions or concerns, please contact Kathy Guthrie at kguthrie at uiuc.edu.
The survey will finish TOMORROW (10/31/02) at Noon, so please enter your
survey before then.

Thirsting for other volunteer opportunities? Check out www.cuvolunteer.org
for 250+ others.

Tell them the Office of Volunteer Programs sent you,

--Sascha & Sara
Office of Volunteer Programs

Phone#:  333-7424
E-mail:  ovp at uiuc.edu
Office:  277 Illini Union (in the RSO complex)
Website: www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp