[Volunteers] OVP Weekly Volunteer Opportunity E-mail (10/30/03)

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Tue Sep 30 11:36:09 CDT 2003

Good Day!

Table of Contents:

1. Gandhi Day -- Indian Students Association (ISA)
2. Tomato Pickin' Good Time -- Eastern Illinois Foodbank
3. Bring History to Life -- Champaign County Historical Museum
4. Care for Mother Nature -- 6th Annual Salt Fork River Clean-Up
5. Stomp discrimination in Health Care -- Champaign County Health Care
Consumers

***

1.  October 4th marks the national event where schools around the nation
will be honoring Gandhi by spending their time volunteering. The
University of Illinois, Indian Students Association urges all students and
staff to support bringing volunteerism to the Champaign-Urbana district.
Please join in on a day to celebrate volunteerism and unity and promote
volunteering, serving, and unity throughout Champaign-Urbana. Find more
information or sign up online at a preferred volunteer location at
http://www.uiuc.edu/ro/ISA Questions/Concerns: Please contact Anjela Dhaon
at Dhaon at uiuc.edu

2.  Eastern Illinois Foodbank is looking for volunteers to pick tomatoes
Thursday, October 2nd from 4-6 p.m. at the Illinois Natural History Survey
plots. This will probably be the last week we are able to pick tomatoes.
The plots are located just south of the corner of First Street and Windsor
Rd.  Please contact Beth Hewing at bahewing at eifoodbank.org or 328-3663 ext
20 if you are able to help.

3.  The Champaign County Historical Museum is looking for artistic
individuals who would like to assist with creating displays.  Help bring
Champaign County's history to the public.  Contact Paul Idleman at
356-1010 or at director at champaignmuseum.org if interested.

4.  Volunteers of all ages needed on October 4, 2003 from 8:30 a.m.-1:00
p.m.  to clean up the Salt Fork River, one of Champaign County's best
recreational resources. You can BYOC (Bring Your Own Canoe), or just bring
yourself and some gloves to help collect cans, bottles, fishing gear, and
buckets or other debris from the Salt Fork's banks and from along Homer
Lake and Collins Pond.  Free t-shirts will be given out (as long as
supplies last). Afterwards, stay and enjoy refreshments and a drawing for
prizes, all donated by local businesses. Contact Lisa Fitzgerald at (217)
344-2371.

5.  By volunteering for the Phone-A-Thon, you'll help us ask our members
to advocate for an end to discriminatory pricing in health care, a
practice whereby hospitals charge uninsured patients many times more than
the price charged to insured patients for the same health care services.
Discriminatory pricing makes health care un-affordable to many people in
our community, and we need your help in encouraging our members to get
involved in the effort to end discriminatory pricing. The Phone-A-Thon is
also CCHCC's annual drive to raise funds that allow us to work for
quality, affordable health care for everyone in our community.  Oct 6,
2003 (5:30 to 9 P.M.), Oct 7, 2003 (5:30 to 9 P.M.), Oct 9, 2003 (5:30 to
9 P.M.).  Contact Brooke Anderson at brooke at shout.net or 352-6533 for more
information.

Thirsting for other volunteer opportunities? Check out www.cuvolunteer.org
for 250+ others.

Tell them the Office of Volunteer Programs sent you,

--Sascha Meinrath & Brian Dubina
Office of Volunteer Programs

Phone#: 333-7424
E-mail: ovp at uiuc.edu
Office: 277 Illini Union (in the RSO complex)
Website: www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp