[Volunteers] OVP Weekly Volunteer Opportunity E-mail (09/22/03)

Brian Stephen Dubina dubina at students.uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 22 14:54:54 CDT 2003

Good Day!

Table of Contents:

1.  Grab a Piece of History -- Champaign County Historical Museum
2.  Teach for America Info Night -- Teach for America
3.  Renovation -- Champaign County YMCA
4.  Pop Tabs = MONEY -- Office of Volunteer Programs
5.  Pickin' Apples with Seniors (not 4th yr. students) -- Circle of Friends
6.  Helping Champaign Residents --  Make a Difference Outreach Days
7.  Tomato Pickin' -- Eastern Illinois Foodbank

***

1. The Champaign County Historical Museum constantly receives donations of
artifacts relating to Champaign County.  They are looking for volunteers to
help sort through these pieces of history.  Training sessions will be held for
those interested in helping out.  Contact Paul Idleman at 356-1010 or
director at champaignmuseum.org

2. Teach For America calls upon recent college graduates of all backgrounds
and academic majors to teach for two years in urban and rural public schools
and to become lifelong leaders in the effort to expand opportunity for
children. Make an IMMEDIATE IMPACT in the lives of children growing up in
low-income communities. Join a network of leaders working to effect LONG-TERM
CHANGE. POSITION YOURSELF for success in any field.
TEACH FOR AMERICA INFORMATION SESSION.
Tuesday, September 23, 2003 -- 7 PM -- 114 David Kinley Hall (DKH).
No previous education experience or coursework necessary. Full salary and
benefits. Financial aid available.  Learn more, visit www.teachforamerica.org,
contact admissions at teachforamerica.org, or subscribe to our e-newsletter at:
https://www.teachforamerica.org/online/request/subscribe.jsp
Application deadlines are October 24, 2003 and February 15, 2004.

3.  The Champaign County YMCA is looking for volunteers to help complete prep
work, painting, and other projects.  Assistance is needed from September 27 to
October 12.  Contact clint at ccymca.net for more information

4.  The Office of Volunteers is collecting pop tabs for Persons Assuming
Control of their Environment (PACE).  PACE, INC is a local non-profit
organizations whose mission is to offer services to assist persons with
disabilities in achieving and maintaining independence.  The pop tabs can be
recycled and this money goes directly to PACE.  So far we have collected 28
gallon milk jugs full of pop tabs.  Recyclable tabs can be brought to the
Office of Volunteer Programs in 277 Illini Union (in the RSO complex).

5.  Circle of Friends is looking for volunteers to assist with their trip to
Curtis Orchard on Friday September 26th.  Volunteers will hang out with
seniors and check out the orchard.  The seniors will arrive at Curtis at 1:15
and leave at 3:00.  Call Kathy at  359-7937 or e-mail at adc at advancenet.net
(Calling is preferred)

6.  We need your help! Participate in a cross-campus student effort to
collectively give something back to our Champaign-Urbana neighbors: 2003 Make
A Difference Outreach Days will be Wednesday, October 15th from 6-9 pm, and
Saturday, October 18th from 9-12 am. This year, in addition to soup kitchens,
nursing homes, crisis nurseries, foodbanks, homeless shelters, etc., we are
excited to be arranging visits to local residents of Champaign and Urbana to
offer help in yard clean-up. Following service, we will then gather for some
bbq refreshment. In all this, we hope to challenge the stereotype of a
self-centered university community and build relations with our neighbors! In
order to match volunteer numbers with projects lined up, we would ask you to
RSVP as soon as possible at 'uimakeadifference at yahoo.com' (with Friday,
October 10th being our 'deadline'). Tell us your preferred date (Weds or Sat),
and if you're representing a group tell us number of volunteers to expect.
More details on project assignments and sign-up locations would follow . .
**One more note--if you know of any critical needs of organizations (including
local families)--that might be met by a large group of students in middle
October, please let us know!!** Thank you for your attention--we hope to hear
from you!
Sincerely, Make a Difference Outreach Day Planning Committee.

7. Eastern Illinois Foodbank is looking for volunteers to pick tomatoes
Thursday September 25th from 4-6 pm at the Illinois Natural History Survey
plots near the corner of First and Windsor. For more information contact Beth
Hewing, Director of Community Building by email at bahewing at eifoodbank.org.

Thirsting for other volunteer opportunities? Check out www.cuvolunteer.org
for 250+ others.

Tell them the Office of Volunteer Programs sent you,

--Sascha Meinrath & Brian Dubina
Office of Volunteer Programs

Phone#: 333-7424
E-mail: ovp at uiuc.edu
Office: 277 Illini Union (in the RSO complex)
Website: www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp