[Volunteers] OVP Weekly Volunteer Opportunity E-mail (09/15/03)

Brian Stephen Dubina dubina at students.uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 15 15:08:23 CDT 2003

Good Afternoon!

Table of Contents:

1. Pick a Tomato, Feed a Person -- Eastern Illinois Foodbank
2. Relive History as a Tour Guide -- Champaign County Historical Museum
3. Talk to Kids about Life -- Solid Ground
4. Support Green Medows (Guys and Girls needed) -- Girl Scouts
5. "Working at the Car . . . Whoa Whoa Whoa" -- ASB

***

1. Eastern Illinois Foodbank is looking for volunteers to pick Roma tomatoes
from 4 - 6 p.m. on Thursday September 18th at the U of I Research Plots
located on First Street just South of Windsor Rd.
Contact Beth Hewing at bahewing at eifoodbank.org for more information.

2. The Champaign County Historical Museum is looking for volunteers to give
tour guides and provide history to visitors' questions.  Training sessions are
held monthly.  The volunteer shifts are 3 1/2 hours each.  (10:00 am -1:30 pm
Wednesdays - Saturdays; and 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm Sundays).  The museum is located
at 102 E. University Ave. in Urbana.  Contact Paul Idleman at (217)356-1010 or
e-mail at director at champaignmuseum.org

3. Talk to kids in local middle schools about the pressures of dating
relationships, drugs/alcohol, and sexual issues (media messages, harm of
pornography, abstinence, etc.)! Solid Ground is urgently seeking
additional peer educators to bolster the work of our full-time health
educator, Sheri Burns, who meets with nearly 1500 local students in 15
different area schools each year. No car? We can arrange carpooling. Feel shy
or 'untrained'? You'll love these kids! They just need to hear
you speak from your own experience. If you are interested in learning
more, come to a pizza and information meeting this Thursday, Sept. 18th in
room 317 of the Illini Union or call/e-mail Sheri (896-3154) or Jacob
(766-2471--jzhess at uiuc.edu). This week, Sheri could use help at Heritage
School in nearby Homer from 12:15-1:45 Weds to Fri, and the following two
weeks (Sept 29-Oct 9) in Rantoul from 12:30-1:45.

4. Girl Scouts need your help! You can help us by helping yourself. How? You
can enhance your Mentoring, Management, Leadership, Teaching Youth and Adults,
Marketing, Public Relations, Technical, Computer, Web, or Organizational
Skills! You can help keep in touch with our hundreds of leaders and thousands
of Girl Scouts! You can help with computers and technology! You can help keep
up with what's going on in our Champaign, Ford, Douglas, Piatt, Iroquois, and
Vermilion Area! You can help Girls Grow Strong! If you have a Knack for
Finances, an Interest in computers and technology, Enjoy working with youth,
like to build your Leadership and Managerial Skills, or if you simply know
what is going on in your community.... Girl Scouts is the place for you! We
have one time and ongoing positions for WOMEN AND MEN - concerned citizens -
over the age of 18! Email us at deborah at greenmead-grlsct.org & let us know
what YOU WANT TO DO!!

5. Alternative Spring Break, is hosting a car wash and needs volunteer help.
This group raises funds to send U of I students across the country on fall,
winter, and spring break service trips. The times they need volunteers are
from 9:30-12:00 or 12:00-2:30 this Sunday. The carwash will be at the Wal-Mart
in Champaign (next to Sam's Club) on Prospect Avenue. If you would like to
help, please e-mail Amanda Clennon at aclennon at uiuc.edu

Thirsting for other volunteer opportunities? Check out www.cuvolunteer.org
for 250+ others.

Tell them the Office of Volunteer Programs sent you,

--Sascha Meinrath and Brian Dubina
Office of Volunteer Programs

Phone#:  333-7424
E-mail:  ovp at uiuc.edu
Office:  277 Illini Union (in the RSO complex)
Website: www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp