[Volunteers] OVP Weekly Volunteer Opportunity E-mail (01/27/04)

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Tue Jan 27 11:07:50 CST 2004

Good Morning!

Table of Contents:

1.  Animal Caretaker -- Anita Purves Nature Center
2.  Help single parents go back to school -- Single Parent Scholarship Fund
3.  Celebrate Dr. Seuss’ 100th birthday by encouraging kids to read --
Read Across America
4.  Revisit the Beatles and support cancer research -- Carle Children's
Cancer Program
5.  Receptionist at Anita Purves Center -- Anita Purves Nature Center
6.  Celebration of African American Month -- Unit 4 Champaign Pre-K
Program
7.  Don Moyer Boys and Girls Club -- Urban Exchange Center
8.  Join an organization dedicated to service -- Alpha Phi Omega
9.  GIVE BLOOD!!! -- American Red Cross (today-Fri in the Illini Union)

***

1.  Volunteers are needed to work about 1 to 3 hours a week feeding,
cleaning cages, and record keeping of reptiles, fish, and birds.  This can
be done anytime during the Nature Center's hours of operation.  For more
information contact Ellen at 367-1536 or erkirsanoff at urbanaparks.org.

2.  The Single Parent Scholarship Foundation is once again participating
in the Bergner's Community Day event and we need volunteers to help sell
coupon booklets for a $5.00 donation between now and February 28. All
proceeds will help fund single parents college expenses for the 2004-2005
Fall/Spring semester.  The more we sell, the more singe parents we can
give scholarships to.  Contact Maria Thompson at spsf at soltec.net, or
344-9265. A big thank-you to all our past volunteers.

3.  Read Across America Committee is holding its annual celebration of
reading at Lincoln Square in Urbana on Saturday March 13th.  Last year
over 700 children participated, and they are expecting more this year.
Volunteers are needed from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, March 13, 2004 to
greet the children and help them with the activities. The shifts are two
hours each: 9 to 11, 11 to 1, and 1 to 3, but they will be glad to adjust
the schedule to accommodate your organization. 2004 is the Seussentenial,
Dr. Seuss' 100th birthday!  We hope you will join us and help share the
message of the role of the entire community in motivating children to
read.  Call or e-mail Dale Montanelli:  217-351-7002 or montanel at uiuc.edu
for more information

4.  Carle Children's Cancer Program is hosting the 40th anniversary of the
Beatles premier on the Ed Sullivan show with a concert at the Virginia
Theater in Champaign.  Ticket sales go to support kids right here in east
central Illinois affected by cancer or a blood-related disease.  Tickets
range from $16-$100.  George Harrison’s sister, Louise, will be the
special guest host at the Historic Virginia Theatre on February 7th at
7:00 P.M.  For purchasing tickets or more information, contact the
Virginia Theatre Ticket Office 217-356-9063 www.thevirginia.org or
www.thebritles.com

5.  Volunteers are needed to assist Nature Center staff with reception
duties during the Spring.  Duties include answering phones, greeting the
public, dealing with purchases, helping with recycling tasks, and working
on special projects.  Time volunteers are needed; Saturdays 7:45-10am or
2-5om.  Sundays 11:45am-4:15pm, and some weekdays from 12 noon to 2pm.
For more information contact Ellen at 367-1536 or
erkirsanoff at urbanaparks.org.

6.  Unit 4 Champaign Pre-K Program would like to have one or two African
American fraternities or sororities come to their school and do a short
"Step"  performance for their children. 75% of the children that they
serve are African American and they would like to expose them to some role
models of our community and think this would be a great way to do it. They
are also looking for Black males that would like to come to the classrooms
and read to the children on a one-time basis.  Contact Maggie
Rodriguez-Nieto at 351-3711 for more information.

7.  The UIUC Urban Exchange Center is engaged in an effort to increase the
level of semester-long volunteer commitment at the Don Moyer Boys and
Girls Club and the youth programs of the Urban League of Champaign County.
If you're interested in giving 3 hours per week of your time to the youth
that these programs serve then come to our volunteer orientation on
Wednesday, January 28th at 7pm in room 385 of the College of Education
(1310 South Sixth Street - one block southeast of the Armory). For
directions or for more information contact Shawn Williams at
sdwillms at uiuc.edu or Veronika Hayes at vhayes at uiuc.edu.

8.  National student service organization Alpha Phi Omega will hold
informational meetings on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday January 27th,
28th and 29th at 7 pm in 223 Greg Hall. Come and check out our
opportunities to do service, make friends, and take on leadership
positions. E-mail kjbannon at uiuc.edu for more details.

9.  The American Red Cross is hosting a blood drive from January 27th to
the 30th.  The drive takes place from 10a.m. to 4 p.m. each day in the
Illini Union in room 314.  No appointments are necessary and walk-ins are
welcome.  Please help save a life.

Thirsting for other volunteer opportunities? Check out www.cuvolunteer.org
for 250+ others.

Tell them the Office of Volunteer Programs sent you,

--Sascha Meinrath & Brian Dubina
Office of Volunteer Programs

Phone#: 333-7424
E-mail: ovp at uiuc.edu
Office: 277 Illini Union (in the RSO complex)
Website: www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp