[Volunteers] OVP Weekly Volunteer Opportunity E-mail (5/3/04)

Brian Stephen Dubina dubina at students.uiuc.edu
Mon May 3 09:49:55 CDT 2004

Good Morning!

Table of Contents:

1.  Wanna get paid to work in the volunteer industry with OVP? -- OVP

2.  Special Projects – The Pavilion

3.  Cat Socialization – Champaign County Humane Society

4.  End of Year Party for Kids – Champaign Early Childhood Center

5.  BINGO – C-U Special Recreation

6.  Saturday Morning Hostess for Coffee Hour – Champaign County Nursing Home

7.  Wanna know how to volunteer in the summer? – OVP

8.  Impact Arthritis 2004 – Arthritis Foundation of Champaign County
***

1.  The Office of Volunteers is looking for some new office assistants for the
next academic year.  Don’t fret, this position is PAID.  This job requires a
10-12 hour commitment per week.  The office is open between 9am-5pm.  On
occasion, nights and weekends may be requested; however, the bulk of the work
is during office hours.  Applicants must have a strong background in community
service and volunteerism.  Tech skills will be highly valued (website
management, Excel, etc).  If you have any questions, e-mail Kathy Guthrie at
ovp at uiuc.edu.  If you are interested in applying, pick up an application at
420 Illini Union (in the Employment Office).  When filling out the
application, specify that the application is for the OVP position.
Applications must be handed in by May 14th.

2.  Volunteers are sought for special projects. We need volunteers who would
like to teach a special skill, on occasion, to our students. We are open to
suggestions but are thinking in terms of teaching basic bowling skills, art
projects, music performances, cultural diversity activities, job skills you
would like to share, i.e., running a restaurant, construction, and medical
field.  Contact Sally Corby at 373-1772

3.  Volunteers needed to "cuddle" the adoptable cats anytime Monday thru
Saturday between 9am and 6pm, and Sundays between 9am and 4pm.  The Humane
Society is located on the far end of Urbana on Springfield Ave.  Contact Julie
Keith at 344-7297.

4.  Help staff games and fun activities and give out prizes to students as
they complete games. May 7, 2004 (8:30-11:30 ), May 7, 2004 (12:30-3:30)
Contact Maggie Rodriguez-Nieto at (217) 351-3711

5.  B12, I25 . . . played Bingo lately? Come join us and help our participants
play Bingo. Call the numbers, help participants keep their cards marked
correctly, help pass out prizes, have fun! May 10, 2004 (7-8pm). Contact Kathy
Stiebner at 398-2374

6.  Do you enjoy seniors, coffee, cookies and socializing? Then we'd love for
you to join our Saturday morning coffee hour and help serve our residents
coffee and cookies and do a little socializing too.  Contact Kalah McGraw
(217) 384-3784.

7. Are you going to be in the Champaign-Urbana area for the summer?  Need
something to fill the gap between your one class and work?  Still interested
in volunteering while you are here, but not sure where to look?  If you are
interested in receiving e-mails this summer about SUMMER volunteer
opportunities, e-mail us at ovp at uiuc.edu and we will add your e-mail to a
special summer edition of the weekly listserve.

8.  The Arthritis Foundation is looking for volunteers to help with this
educational seminar.  Volunteers will help with set up, registration, assist
during seminar, and clean up.  The seminal is going to be held on Mar 16, 2004
(8am to 5 pm).   If you are interested in helping spread awareness of
arthritis, contact Mary Dennis at (217) 398-7815

Thirsting for other volunteer opportunities? Check out www.cuvolunteer.org
for 250+ others.

Tell them the Office of Volunteer Programs sent you,

--Sascha Meinrath & Brian Dubina
Office of Volunteer Programs

Phone#: 333-7424
E-mail: ovp at uiuc.edu
Office: 277 Illini Union (in the RSO complex)
Website: www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp