[Volunteers] Volunteer listserv: October 12, 2004

Staci Provezis sprovez2 at uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 12 12:31:04 CDT 2004

Tuesday, October 12, 2004
Office of Volunteer Programs Weekly Listserv

Table of Contents
1. Make a Difference Drive
2. Start Local National Organization at U of I
3. Help Inside Tent City at State Football Tournament
4. V.I.P. Rescheduled Playground Resealing
5. Health and Graduate Fair
6. Reorganize HOMEWORKS Store
7. Phone-a-thon for Health Care Justice
8. Provena Behavioral Health’s Prevention Initiative
Internship
9. Children's Clothing & Book Sale

1. Make a Difference Drive

The Office of Volunteer Programs is holding our annual Make A
Difference Drive. The Make a Difference Drive (MADD) is a two-
week long donation drive requesting the most needed items in
the community. This year, MADD will begin on Monday, October
11, 2004 and the final drop-off date for the items will be on
Friday, October 22, 2004 at 4:00PM. The items should be
dropped off at the OVP office, which is located in 277 Illini
Union, in the RSO complex. The top twenty most requested
items are as follows: Markers, Diapers, Crayons, Pencils,
Razors, Pens, Folders, Tissue, Coloring Books, Glue,
Construction Paper, Notebooks, Mini Shampoo, Toothbrushes,
Toothpaste, Mini Lotion, Mini Soap, Underwear, Baby Wipes,
and Socks.

If you bring items for MADD into the Illini Union Bookstore
during the Mix 94.5 live broadcast on Friday, October 22
between 2pm and 4pm, you will have a chance at winning one of
four $25 gift certificates.

2. Start Local National Organization

The National Organization for College Placement (NOCP) is
seeking dedicated leaders to start a local chapter at the
University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign. This is a great
opportunity to experience working in a growing national
organization as well as aiding impoverished youths in the
college admissions process. The mission statement for NOCP is:

The National Organization for College Placement is a non-
profit organization dedicated to empowering underprivileged
youths with the means of attaining and achieving their goals
in higher education. In pursuit of this mission, we focus on
helping students in choosing the right college or university
for their needs, teaching them effective college entrance
strategies, and providing them with one-on-one counseling to
start planning early for post secondary education.

Impact society and join NOCP! If you are interested please
contact James Paek at jpaek2 at uiuc.edu

3.  Help Inside Tent City at State Football Tournament

Volunteers are needed inside "Tent City" during the State
Football Tournament to monitor the interactive games, answer
questions about the community, pass out complimentary
souvenirs, pick up trash as necessary and make sure the
coaches' room has food and drink. Shifts are from three hours
long and begin at the following times: 7AM, 10AM, 1PM, 4PM,
7PM and 10PM on November 26 and November 27. Tent City is
across from Memorial Stadium Champaign. If you would like to
participate or need further information contact Lucas at
lucast at champaigncounty.org or call him at (217) 351-4133,
extension 43.

4. V.I.P. Rescheduled Playground Resealing

This was supposed to happen a couple of weeks ago, but the
date was changed, so maybe you can make it now! Want to work
a little outside and help out the kids? Come out on October
16 to work on the wooden playground at Meadowbrook Park in
Urbana. This is a really popular playground, and as many as
100 kids will play on it on a weekend day! All of that wood
needs to be sealed every couple of years to protect it from
rain, sun, etc., and that's where we come in. We'll be
applying the sealer with backpack sprayers as well as
paintbrushes. Pizza and drinks will be provided (FREE FOOD!)!
Come out and do a bit of work, be outdoors (there's a really
nice prairie, and help the kids.

The date of the event is October 16. Volunteers will be
working in shifts: 9AM-12PM, 12PM-3PM, and maybe another if
needed. Come for just one or both! 10-15 people are needed
for each shift. For transportation, a van will be shuttling
people back and forth from the Illini Union, or you can drive
out to the park on the corner of Windsor and Vine streets in
Urbana. If you're interested in this, please contact Kristina
at kfranke at uiuc.edu or Shane at cochran at uiuc.edu.

5. Health and Graduate Fair

On October 27 and 28, The Career Center will be hosting a
Health and Graduate Fair in the Illini Union Rooms A, B, C
from 11AM to 4PM.  The Career Center is looking for
volunteers to work various time slots during the day. Some of
the volunteer responsibilities may include: directing college
representatives to appropriate parking and tables, assisting
in unloading materials, distributing meals and beverages, and
providing general assistance to students in attendance.

Volunteers will receive a free Illinois T-shirt and have a
chance to win prizes through a raffle drawing. For each hour
a student works, he or she will get one entry into a raffle
for gift certificates to Illini Union Bookstore. Students who
work from 9AM-10AM and/or 4PM-5PM (set up and clean up) will
get two entries per hour. The raffle will have three prizes:
a $25, $50 and $100 gift certificate.

The time slots for both days begin at the start of each hour
and are an hour long. The first shift begins at 9AM and the
last shift begins at 4PM. There are limited slots open for
volunteers so students are encouraged to contact the Dorthy
at the Career Center as soon as possible. Interested students
should send name, e-mail, and time available to work to
Dorothy at mjchrwcz at uiuc.edu.

6. Reorganize HOMEWORKS Store

Do you have an eye for organization?  Don't mind moving
stuff?  If so, we could use your help on Saturdays, any time
between 9AM and 4PM. We will continue the major
reorganization of the upstairs portion of our store- stacking
and organizing doors, windows, lumber, and furniture - to
create more space and make it easier for customers to find
what they're looking for.  Any skill and strength levels
welcome!  If you're interested, please contact Angela Miller,
HOMEWORKS Manager, at homeworks at soltec.net or call 355-6460.

HOMEWORKS is Habitat for Humanity's home improvement resale
store. HOMEWORKS is a resale warehouse selling new and gently
used furniture, household items, gardening supplies, and
building materials to the public at greatly discounted
prices. The 9,000 sq. foot store opened in May 2003 and is
almost completely volunteer run. All proceeds go to fund
local Habitat for Humanity home building projects.

7. Phone-a-thon for Health Care Justice

Please consider volunteering for CCHCC's 2004 Phone-A-Thon!!
CCHCC 2004 PHONE-A-THON FOR HEALTH CARE JUSTICE runs October
18th-21st each night from 5:30PM-9:00PM at the CCHCC office
in downtown Champaign. FREE FOOD will be provided by C-U's
best restaurants! TRANSPORTATION to CCHCC provided upon
request.

By volunteering for the Phone-A-Thon, you'll help us ask
members to advocate for Medicare reform: Bring REAL help to
Medicare beneficiaries who cannot afford life-saving
medicines, Allow Medicare to negotiate with drug companies
for lower prices for prescriptions, Prevent increasing
Medicare premiums that will overwhelm seniors and force them
to choose between food and medicine, Help our seniors live
with dignity, without fear of being bankrupted by health care
costs, The Phone-A-Thon is also CCHCC's annual drive to raise
funds that allow us to work for quality, affordable health
care for everyone in the community. To volunteer for the
phone-a-thon, please visit
http://www.healthcareconsumers.org/PAT/phone-a-thon.html. For
more information, contact Brooke Anderson at (217) 352-6533,
ext. 17 or brooke at shout.net

8. Provena Behavioral Health’s Prevention Initiative
Internship

Are you interested in going into the social services field?
Would you like to work with young moms and their children?
Would you like an internship that is rewarding, challenging,
and give you lots of hands-on experience? Prevention
Initiative is currently looking for hard working, motivated
individuals who would like to work in our parent support
program. Applicants must be at least 18 years old, have GED
or high school diploma, and currently college student status.
A resume is required. If interested, contact Griselda Garza
at ggarza at provenabehavioralhealth.org or (217)398-8080 ext
121.

9. Children's Clothing & Book Sale

Help sort and prepare for the annual clothing sale of the
Unit 4 Champaign Pre-K Program at the Champaign Early
Childhood Center. You can also sign up to work during the
sale. The dates and times are as follows: Nov 3, 2PM-7PM; Nov
4, 9AM-7PM; Nov 5, 8AM-1PM. The center is located at  809 N.
Neil in Champaign. Contact Maggie Rodriguez-Nieto for more
information at (217) 351-3711.

Visit our website to find more volunteer opportunities:
www.cuvolunteer.org.
We offer the most comprehensive list of volunteer
opportunities in Champaign County.

Staci Provezis & Michael Cipriani
Office of Volunteer Programs
Phone#:  333-7424
E-mail:  ovp at uiuc.edu
Office:  277 Illini Union (in the RSO complex)
Website: www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp