[Volunteers] Volunteer listserv: September 28, 2004

Staci Provezis sprovez2 at uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 28 11:46:08 CDT 2004

Tuesday, September 28, 2004
Office of Volunteer Programs Weekly Listserv

Table of Contents
1. Pick-Up and Delivery Drivers
2. PHONE-A-THON FOR HEALTH CARE JUSTICE!
3. Painting at the Daycare
4. VIP Sealing Wooden Playground
5. ISV Summer Travel and Work Programs
6. Self-Help Center needs Aid
7. Repack Rice
8. Lutheran Volunteer Corps
9. Children’s Activities at Harvest Fest

1. Pick-Up and Delivery Drivers

Looking for a fun way to help out at Habitat for Humanity?
How about volunteering to help with donation pick-ups in our
pick-up and box trucks? Habitat for Humanity of Champaign &
Piatt Counties HOMEWORKS Store is currently seeking
volunteers on Wed. 3-7PM, Fri. & Sat. 9AM-4PM to help with
merchandise deliveries and donation pick-ups in the Champaign-
Urbana area. Help out just one day, a handful of days, or
serve as an on-call driver. All proceeds go to fund local
Habitat for Humanity home building projects. If you're
interested please contact Angela Miller by email at
homeworks at soltec.net or call (217) 355-6460.

2. PHONE-A-THON FOR HEALTH CARE JUSTICE!

Please consider volunteering for CCHCC's 2004 Phone-A-Thon!!
CCHCC 2004 PHONE-A-THON FOR HEALTH CARE JUSTICE runs October
18th-21st each night from 5:30PM-9:00PM at the CCHCC office
in downtown Champaign. FREE FOOD will be provided by C-U's
best restaurants! TRANSPORTATION to CCHCC provided upon
request.

By volunteering for the Phone-A-Thon, you'll help us ask
members to advocate for Medicare reform: Bring REAL help to
Medicare beneficiaries who cannot afford life-saving
medicines, Allow Medicare to negotiate with drug companies
for lower prices for prescriptions, Prevent increasing
Medicare premiums that will overwhelm seniors and force them
to choose between food and medicine, Help our seniors live
with dignity, without fear of being bankrupted by health care
costs, The Phone-A-Thon is also CCHCC's annual drive to raise
funds that allow us to work for quality, affordable health
care for everyone in the community. To volunteer for the
phone-a-thon, please visit
http://www.healthcareconsumers.org/PAT/phone-a-thon.html. For
more information, contact Brooke Anderson at (217) 352-6533,
ext. 17 or brooke at shout.net

3. Daycare needs Painting

Marilyn Queller Day Care Center, which serves children from
low-income families, is seeking 2-8 people to help complete a
painting job.  The day care has acquired two storage sheds
for playground equipment, and the sheds need a coat of paint
before winter. All paint and supplies will be provided and
any and all help would be appreciated.  It would be a great
gift to the kids to have this work done by a group of
volunteers. Call Kelli or Krisha at the center, (217) 344-
6364, during a weekday if you might have time to help with
this project.

4. Volunteer Illini Projects-Meadowbrook Playground

Want to work a little outside and help out the kids? Come out
on October 2nd to work on the wooden playground at
Meadowbrook Park in Urbana. This is a really popular
playground, and as many as 100 kids will play on it on a
weekend day! All of that wood needs to be sealed every couple
of years to protect it from rain, sun, etc., and that's where
we come in. We'll be applying the sealer with backpack
sprayers as well as paintbrushes. Pizza and drinks will be
provided (FREE FOOD)! Come out and do a bit of work, be
outdoors, and help the kids!

The date of the event is October 2nd. We will be working in
shifts: 9AM-12PM, 12PM-3PM, and maybe another if we need it.
Come for just one or both! We need 10-15 people for each
shift. For transportation, a van will be shuttling people
back and forth from the Illini Union, or you can drive out to
the park on the corner of Windsor and Vine streets in Urbana.
If you're interested in this, please contact Kristina at
kfranke at uiuc.edu or Shane at cochran at uiuc.edu.

5. ISV Summer Travel and Work Programs

Want to go to places like Costa Rica, Australia, New Zealand,
the Dominican Republic or Romania? Come join the ISV Summer
Travel and Work Programs. The first two weeks are a Volunteer
Work Program and the second two weeks are an Outdoor
Adventure Tour. There are numerous conservation and community
development projects to choose from: sea turtle conservation,
teaching English to children, home and community building
programs, rainforest regeneration, and more. The second two
weeks you will explore natural parks, marine reserves,
mangroves, etc., and there will be numerous recreational
outdoor activities ranging from white water rafting in
underground caves to snowboarding the Southern Alps to scuba
diving the Great Barrier Reef to sky diving and bungee
jumping. For additional information, please attend an
informational meeting. There will be a meeting on the hour
every hour from 9AM-5PM Thursday, September 30th in Illini
Room C on the first floor of the Illini Union.

6. Self-Help Center needs Aid

The center is looking for volunteers to help with a
conference on Saturday, Oct. 23rd at The Forum at Carle,
Urbana. The conference is from 8AM-5PM and volunteers who can
help in at least two-hour segments are needed. Volunteers
would help with registration and book sales from 8AM-10AM,
10AM-12PM, 12PM-2PM and 2PM-4:15PM. Students would also have
fees waived for registration if they want to attend sessions
after volunteering. The conference is on self-help groups and
the theme is The Strength in Us: How Mutual Aid Self Help
Groups Promote Hope, Healing and Transformation. The
conference information and registration is at
www.prairienet.org/selfhelp. Interested volunteers can
contact Sharon at selfhelp at prairienet.org.

7. Repack Rice

The Eastern Illinois Foodbank has received bulk rice and
needs help repacking the large bags into smaller containers!
The Eastern Illinois Foodbank is a nonprofit organization
that acquires, stores, maintains and distributes quantities
of food products and essentials to hungry people through
Eastern Illinois, thus alleviating hunger and nourishing
stronger communities. The Eastern Illinois Foodbank would
like anyone who would like to help. The project day is
tentatively set for Saturday, Oct. 9th. We are looking for as
many volunteers as possible. For more information, contact
Jessica Culp by email jculp at eifoodbank.org or call her at
(217) 328-3663 Ext. 17.

8. Lutheran Volunteer Corps

Lutheran Volunteer Corps is a one-year urban service corps
grounded in social justice, sustainable lifestyle, and
intentional community. We are open to people of any faith
background. We live and work in ten cities from coast to
coast. In communities of four to eight people, we share
meals, household responsibilities, daily struggles, faith
discussions, and good times. At work, we provide essential
services to schools, environmental organizations, shelters,
programs for women and youth, medical and legal clinics,
refugee services, public policy organizations, community
organizers, senior service providers, food banks, etc. If
you’d like to learn more, see our website at www.lvchome.org,
call our office at (202) 387-3222, or email Recruitment
Coordinator Jen Moore at lvcrecruitment at lvchome.org.

9. Children’s Activities at Harvest Fest

Come join the first annual Harvest Fest! Volunteers will be
needed to assist with game booths and craft activities for
children on Oct. 2nd from 11:00AM-4:00PM. Volunteers must
enjoy working with children in a festive atmosphere. Parking
is available in parking lots or on street. Volunteers will be
provided with lunch.  The Harvest Fest will take place at 706
Kenwood Dr. in Champaign. For more information Kristi Bolton
(217) 398-2550

Visit our website to find more volunteer opportunities:
www.cuvolunteer.org.
We offer the most comprehensive list of volunteer
opportunities in Champaign County.

Staci Provezis & Michael Cipriani
Office of Volunteer Programs
Phone#:  333-7424
E-mail:  ovp at uiuc.edu
Office:  277 Illini Union (in the RSO complex)
Website: www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp