[Volunteers] Volunteer Listserv: April 27, 2005

Office of Volunteer Programs ovp at ad.uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 27 11:55:56 CDT 2005

Wednesday, April 27, 2005
Office of Volunteer Programs Weekly Listserv

Table of Contents

1. Office of Volunteer Programs: Paid Office Assistant Positions for 2005/2006

2. Walk For Africa

3.  Kid-Apalooza - Volunteers Needed!

4. Allerton Park: Sculptures/Gardens/Restoration

5. Champaign Park District: Flying for Kids!

6. Provena Covenant Medical Center's Grandma's Attic Sale

7. Free Recycling Drop-Off Site: Help Recycle!

8. National Science Olympiad

1. Office of Volunteer Programs: Paid Office Assistant Positions for 2005/2006

The Office of Volunteer Programs is looking for office assistants for the next academic year.  Don't fret - this position is PAID.  This job requires a 10-12 hour commitment per week.  The office is open between 9am-5pm.  On occasion, nights and weekends may be requested; however, the bulk of the work is during office hours.  Applicants must have a strong background in community service and volunteerism.  Tech skills will be highly valued (website management, Excel, etc).  If you have any questions, e-mail Debbie Brown witruk at uiuc.edu <mailto:witruk at uiuc.edu> . If you are interested in applying, pick up an application at 420 Illini Union (in the Employment Office).  When filling out the application, specify that the application is for the OVP position.  Applications must be handed in by May 2nd.

2. Walk For Africa

The 2nd Annual WALK FOR AFRICA will be held on Saturday, April 30 at 12:30 on the Quad. We are looking for volunteers AND walkers.  VOLUNTEERS: We will need help with setup, cleanup, and traffic control.  Please contact Lindsay at lbaran at uiuc.edu if you'd like to volunteer!  WALKERS: Registration is $15 and includes participation in the Walk, a wonderful performance by the AACAP and a t-shirt- bring 5 friends and the price drops to $12 each, and contact Lindsay for larger group deals!  Email LinkUofI at yahoo.com to pre-register, or Lindsay at lbaran at uiuc.edu with any questions.

3. Kid-Apalooza - Volunteers Needed!

 Kid-Apalooza is a free festival sponsored by CU Special Recreation and A Women's Fund celebrating children during National Child Abuse Prevention month. Kid-A-Palooza will be held on Saturday, April 30 from 1:00 - 4:00 in Douglass Park at the corner of Grove and 5th. Douglass Park will be filled with different free activities for children to participate in. There will be games with prizes, fingerprinting and other child identifying activities, karaoke, and different performances on the stage! Volunteers are needed to work our event booths, or with a group to create and man their own booth. We have lots of ideas for booth activities if your group cannot come up with an idea. If you are interested in the FUN activity, please contact Kathy Steibner at 398-2374.

4. Allerton Park: Sculptures/Gardens/Restoration

Assist with the maintenance and cleaning of sculptures within Allerton Park, help maintain the formal gardens, or care for Allerton Park's "wild side" by removing non-native species, cleaning and marking trails, or other maintenance of the natural areas. Dates and activities are as follows: Sculptures: MAY 11 (9AM-12PM), Gardens: MAY 4 (9AM-11AM), Restoration: MAY 7 (9AM-12PM). For further information please contact Kimberly at 244-1035.

5. Champaign Park District: Flying for Kids!

On APRIL 30, 2005, volunteers are needed at the Champaign Park District to help with making kites and assisting with the contest at the event.  This event will take place from 12:00-4:00PM. Please contact Kristi Bolton at 398-2550 for more information.

6. Provena Covenant Medical Center's Grandma's Attic Sale

The auxiliary at Provena Covenant Medical Center is hosting "Grandma's Attic Sale", a fundraiser that benefits scholarships and other service projects of the auxiliary.

We are asking for volunteers to donate items such as linens, workable appliances, lamps, books,  jewelry, dishes, household items, funiture, knickknacks, clean and wearable clothing, etc.  These items can be dropped off at the Provena Covenant front lobby between 9am-1pm on April 16, May 14, or May 28, 2005.

We would also like to invite volunteers to participate in the actual sale on June 25, 2005.  Please contact AmandaJHolt at ProvenaHealth.com or 217-337-2378 to participate in the event.

7. Free Recycling Drop-Off Site: Help Recycle!

The city of Champaign provides a 24-hour, 7 days a week, free recycling drop-off site. The drop-off site is open to the public and is located at 1701 Hagan Drive in Champaign, about a five-minute drive from campus.  To reach the drop-off site from campus, take Prospect Road North. Turn right (East) onto Bloomington Road.  Turn Left (North) onto Hagan Road, a stoplight one block down.  The drop-off site will be on the right.  Materials should be separated into three groups: 1) aluminum, tin, plastic (#1-#6), and glass containers 2) paper and newspaper and 3) cardboard. Help our community recycle!!!

8. National Science Olympiad

Approximately 300 volunteers needed to for the National Science Olympiad that will be held on our campus May 18-21, 2005.  You may learn more about the science and engineering competitive events at http://www.nso.uiuc.edu/ <http://www.nso.uiuc.edu/> .  We anticipate around 4,000 visitor to campus and need you help to make this major event be memorable for those attending.

We need people to help stuff packets the week of May 9-13 and other volunteers for the week of May 16-21 to be runners; man the sales booth; walk the quads (Bardeen, main and south) to provide directions and information to Olympians, coaches, their parents and spectators; assist with monitoring of events and assistance with the Opening and Closing Ceremonies.   Please go now to http://www.nso.uiuc.edu/vol/ <http://www.nso.uiuc.edu/vol/>  to sign up!!!

Be sure to check www.cuvolunteer.org <http://www.cuvolunteer.org/>  regularly for additional volunteer opportunities.

Staci Provezis and Shermin Ali
Office of Volunteer Programs
Phone#:  333-7424
E-mail:  ovp at uiuc.edu
Office:  277 Illini Union (in the RSO complex)
Website: www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp