[Volunteers] OVP ListServ

Office of Volunteer Programs ovp at ad.uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 6 14:43:19 CDT 2007

OFFICE OF VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS WEEKLY LISTSERV

Brought to you by CUVolunteer.org, the most comprehensive list of volunteer opportunities in Champaign County.

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

1. Sept. 5: Students for Environmental Concerns first meeting

2. Sept. 6: New Life Volunteering Society, 1st general meeting

3. Sept. 7: OVP Volunteer Fair!!

4. Sept. 10: Support Rape Crisis Services with all you can eat pasta!

5. Sept. 15: 10th Annual Salt Fork River Clean-Up and Workday

6. U-CYCLE program seeks volunteers

7. C-U Special Recreation After School Programs

1. Students for Environmental Concerns first meeting

TONIGHT, September 5 at 6:30 in the Student Programs room in the basement of the YMCA at 1001 Wright Street.  Come visit us for an introduction to how you can become part of the oldest environmental group on campus.  This year we'll be working toward getting city-wide recycling back in Champaign, promoting a Living Green week this semester, and several environmental volunteering projects.  Come share some pizza with us tonight and learn about SECS!

2. New Life Volunteering Society, 1st general meeting

On Thursday September 6th at 8 PM in 100 Noyes

NLVS is a non-secular, non-profit organization whose mission is to serve those in need through health care, community service, and education..  Our primary attention is on four groups of people: the hungry, homeless, mentally and physically disabled, and underprivileged children.

We also have amazing opportunities for leadership and executive BOARD POSITIONS, and MEDICAL MISSIONS to Costa Rica, Ecuador, India, and Africa!

Please contact ppandya2 at uiuc.edu <mailto:ppandya2 at uiuc.edu>  if you have any questions.

3. Support Rape Crisis Services with all you can eat pasta!

Join us at FAZOLI'S on Monday, September 10 at 2029 N. Prospect and order the ALL YOU CAN EAT pasta for only $3.99 - $1 from every order will go to Rape Crisis Services to help support victims of sexual assault.

WHEN: Sept. 10 from 5-8pm

WHERE: Fazoli's 2029 N. Prospect

4. OVP Volunteer Fair

Come to the Volunteer Fair this Friday, September 7th, from 11-3 in Illini rooms A, B, and C of the Illini Union for a unique opportunity to meet several agencies from the community as well as many student groups.  This event is a great way to learn about the multitude of service opportunities on and off campus.  Stop by and you will definitely find something that you're interested in!

5. 10th Annual Salt Fork River Clean-Up and Workday

Registration begins at 9:00am on the St. Joseph High School lawn on Saturday, September 15th, 2007.  Please dress appropriately and bring your own work gloves and reusable water bottles if you have them! This year, we are moving upstream to highlight the new wetland restoration project in St. Joseph and to address invasive species in many areas along the banks of the river. If you have questions, please contact csmith at prairierivers.org or call Prairie Rivers Network at (217) 344-2371.

6.  U-CYCLE program seeks volunteers

Urbana's U-CYCLE program is seeking volunteers for a multifamily U-CYCLE project again this year!  We will need volunteers to stuff recycling tote bags, and we will need volunteers/groups to door hang the tote bags at every apartment unit and fraternity/sorority in Urbana.  Called U-BAGs, the tote bags are provided so that multifamily residents can store recycling more conveniently within their apartment unit.

Beginning Monday, September 10 we are seeking volunteers to stuff U-BAGs with flyers between the hours of 8 AM - 5 PM, Monday-Friday, at Urbana Public Works (706 S. Glover Ave., Urbana).  We will need volunteers between September 10 - 21 to assist us with stuffing U-BAGs.  Any amount of time you are able to dedicate would be appreciated!

Beginning Monday, September 24 we are seeking volunteers to assist us with door hanging U-BAGs at apartment complexes in Urbana.  A vehicle is necessary, and maps of the apartment complexes will be provided.  We are looking for volunteers to door hang apartment complexes during daytime hours any day of the week.  I can arrange a weekend project with you or your organization.  I can also arrange door hanging projects in your neighborhood if that is most convenient for you!

To volunteer, or for more information, please contact Courtney Rushforth who is the Recycling Coordinator for the U-CYCLE Program at (217) 384-2302.

7. C-U Special Recreation After School Programs

CUSR is a fun place to volunteer! We'd love to have you join us. We have daily opportunities available at our after school programs with youth or teens. Weekly volunteer opportunities are available with our Special Olympics bowling, speed skating, and basketball, plus, tennis, and cardiofunk. Some examples of one time volunteer opportunities include cooking classes, Friday Fun Nights, Dances or Bingo.

The after school programs meet from 2:30 - 5:30 Monday - Friday.  Teen Time serves ages 13-21 and is housed at the Springer Center at 301 N Randolph in Champaign. It's on the corner of Randolph and Church.  Project Dirt serves ages 6-12 and is housed at Spalding Rec Center at 910 N Harris in Champaign.  It's behind the Spalding Pool.

Our bowling programs meets on Mondays and Wednesdays from 4:00 - 5:15. It is held at GT's Western Bowl on Francis Drive in Champaign, just west and south of Prospect and Bloomington Road.

Call or email our Volunteer Coordinator, Kathy Stiebner, at 217-239-1152 or kathy.stiebner at cparkdistrict.com for more information or to schedule your volunteer orientation.

Illini Union Office of Volunteer Programs
284 Illini Union (in the Student Organization Complex)
Phone: 217-333-7424
E-mail: ovp at uiuc.edu <mailto:ovp at uiuc.edu>
Web: http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/ <http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/>  <http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/ <http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/> >