[Volunteers] OVP Listserv for 9/10 to 9/17

Office of Volunteer Programs ovp at ad.uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 10 10:26:07 CDT 2007

Monday, September 10, 2007
OFFICE OF VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS WEEKLY LISTSERVE
Brought to you by CUVolunteer.org, the most comprehensive list of volunteer opportunities in Champaign county.

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

1.  Idealist.org Non-Profit Workshop, registration required (9/19)

2.  Free Tutor Training (9/12)

3.  Environmental Action Night (9/12)

4.  International Impact’s Volunteer Abroad Info. Nights (9/12 and 9/13)

5.  10th annual Salt Fork River Cleanup (9/15)

6.  Alternative Spring Break, fall break applications due! (9/12 and 9/17)

7.  U-CYCLE program seeks volunteers

8.  C-U Special Recreation After School Programs

9.  iHelp (sign up by 10/6)

10.  Urbana Chautauqua—needs volunteers (10/9 – 10/14)

11.  Halloween Funfest volunteers needed (10/29)

1.  IDEALIST.ORG NON-PROFIT WORKSHOP

Come learn from the experts at Idealist.org about the not-for-profit field and tips for finding a job in the non-profit world.  Wednesday, September 19th from 4-7 in 314 Illini Union.  Space is limited to 90 participants.
To register, email Greg Hatch (ghatch1 at uiuc.edu)

2.  FREE TUTOR TRAINING

This training is for anyone who’s interested in helping young children improve their reading skills.  It will prepare you to help beginning or struggling readers develop fluency: “the ability to read at an appropriate rate with accuracy and expression.”  This Wednesday, September 12, 404 Illini Union from 7-8 pm.

3.  ENVIRONMENTAL ACTION NIGHT

Come check out the 8th annual Environmental Action Night, sponsored by Students for Environmental ConcernS and the University YMCA.  This Wednesday night from 6 to 9pm at the Y on Wright Street.  This year we are hosting more than 20 environmental groups that range in scope from student and local community groups to international campaigns. Free food and prizes! Come learn about how to ACT NOW to keep our world healthy!  Questions? Email secs at uiuc.edu.

4. INTERNATIONAL IMPACT’S INFO. NIGHTS

Make your dreams of volunteering abroad a reality!  International Impact is a student-run organization that sends volunteers abroad every winter and summer break.  During the school year, students work to fundraise so projects are affordable and  I-I offers scholarships to students in need.  For more information, attend info. nights this Wednesday, in 192 Lincoln at 7pm -OR- Thursday, 194 Lincoln at 7pm.  Questions?  Email internationalimpact at gmail.com

5.  10TH ANNUAL SALT FORK RIVER CLEAN-UP AND WORKDAY

Registration begins at 9:00am on the St. Joseph High School lawn on Saturday, September 15th, 2007.  Please dress appropriately and bring your own work gloves and reusable water bottles if you have them! This year, we are moving upstream to highlight the new wetland restoration project in St. Joseph and to address invasive species in many areas along the banks of the river. If you have questions, please contact csmith at prairierivers.org or call Prairie Rivers Network at (217) 344-2371.

6.  ALTERNATIVE SPRING BREAK, FALL BREAK APPLICATIONS DUE

Alternative Spring Break sends U of I students on nationwide service trips four times throughout the year. Trips concern issues such as: homelessness and poverty; childhood illiteracy; healthcare; environmental issues and much more! Applications for fall break trips are due Sept 17.  Site Facilitator apps are due on Sep 12.  Please visit their website for more information: http://www.uiuc.edu/ro/asb

7.  U-CYCLE PROGRAM SEEKS VOLUNTEERS

Urbana's U-CYCLE program is seeking volunteers for a multifamily U-CYCLE project again this year!  We will need volunteers to stuff recycling tote bags, and we will need volunteers/groups to door hang the tote bags at every apartment unit and fraternity/sorority in Urbana.  Called U-BAGs, the tote bags are provided so that multifamily residents can store recycling more conveniently within their apartment unit.

Beginning Monday, September 10 we are seeking volunteers to stuff U-BAGs with flyers between the hours of 8 AM - 5 PM, Monday-Friday, at Urbana Public Works (706 S. Glover Ave., Urbana).  We will need volunteers between September 10 - 21 to assist us with stuffing U-BAGs.  Any amount of time you are able to dedicate would be appreciated!

Beginning Monday, September 24 we are seeking volunteers to assist us with door hanging U-BAGs at apartment complexes in Urbana.  A vehicle is necessary, and maps of the apartment complexes will be provided.  We are looking for volunteers to door hang apartment complexes during daytime hours any day of the week.  I can arrange a weekend project with you or your organization.  I can also arrange door hanging projects in your neighborhood if that is most convenient for you!

To volunteer, or for more information, please contact Courtney Rushforth who is the Recycling Coordinator for the U-CYCLE Program at (217) 384-2302.

8.  C-U SPECIAL RECREATION AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMS

CUSR is a fun place to volunteer! We’d love to have you join us. We have daily opportunities available at our after school programs with youth or teens. Weekly volunteer opportunities are available with our Special Olympics bowling, speed skating, and basketball, plus, tennis, and cardiofunk. Some examples of one time volunteer opportunities include cooking classes, Friday Fun Nights, Dances or Bingo.

The after school programs meet from 2:30 - 5:30 Monday - Friday.  Teen Time serves ages 13-21 and is housed at the Springer Center at 301 N Randolph in Champaign. It's on the corner of Randolph and Church.  Project Dirt serves ages 6-12 and is housed at Spalding Rec Center at 910 N Harris in Champaign.  It's behind the Spalding Pool.  Our bowling programs meets on Mondays and Wednesdays from 4:00 - 5:15. It is held at GT's Western Bowl on Francis Drive in Champaign, just west and south of Prospect and Bloomington Road.

Call or email our Volunteer Coordinator, Kathy Stiebner, at 217-239-1152 or kathy.stiebner at cparkdistrict.com for more information or to schedule your volunteer orientation.

9.  IHELP: A HOMECOMING VOLUNTEER PROJECT

iHelp is a one-day volunteer project that sends more than 1,000 University of Illinois students into the community to help with a wide variety of tasks. This day of service not only offers assistance in large numbers but also provides an outlet for University students who are looking to continue their volunteer activities while on campus.  This year’s iHelp is Saturday, October 13 form 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.  Learn more about iHelp at www.uiaa.org/urbana/saa/ihelp.html or contact Emily Holtan at eholtan2 at uiuc.edu.  Registration deadline is Saturday, October 6 at midnight.

10.  HELP WITH URBANA PARK DISTRICT’S CHAUTAUQUA EVENT

Be an event volunteer and help the Urbana Park District make its 100th Anniversary a success! To celebrate its centennial birthday, the district is putting on a free six-day Chautauqua--a festival offering music, dance, culture, politics, religion, children's activities and fun. The event will take place in October 9 to 14 in Crystal Lake Park in Urbana, IL. Volunteers can assist with event set-up/take-down, children’s activities, backstage support for live entertainment, equipment loading, refreshment/information stations, parking, food and vending, and much, much more. Each volunteer receives a free commemorative Chautauqua volunteer shirt! All help is appreciated - individuals and groups alike. Simply call 217/367-1544 or 217/384-4062.

11.  HALLOWEEN FUNFEST VOLUNTEERS NEEDED

Fall is right around the corner and that means the Champaign Park District is busily planning for Halloween Funfest!  This year Funfest is October 29th from 6pm-9pm.  If you would like to be involved with this fun filled and exciting event, please feel free to contact me! Paul Bady, Special Events & Volunteer Coordinator: phone: (217) 398-2550, email: Paul.bady at cparkdistrict.com

Illini Union Office of Volunteer Programs
284 Illini Union
Phone: 217-333-7424
E-mail: ovp at uiuc.edu
Web: http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/