[Volunteers] OVP Digest for 1/28/2008 to 2/4/2008

Office of Volunteer Programs ovp at ad.uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 28 16:48:49 CST 2008

Monday, January 28, 2008
OFFICE OF VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS WEEKLY LISTSERVE
Brought to you by CUVolunteer.org, the most comprehensive list of volunteer opportunities in Champaign County

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

1.  Donors For Life Blood Drive (2/4)
2.  I Heart Relay Benefit Concert (2/8)
3.  Camp Kesem is looking for 2008 Summer Camp Counselors
4.  Babysitters Needed (2/7)
5.  *OVP’s 2nd Annual Service and Leadership Conference (2/24)
6.  Westview Elementary’s Annual Fun Fest (2/28)
7.  Boy Scouts After School Program
8.  Orpheum Children’s Science Museum Volunteer Opportunities
9.  The Illini 4000 for Cancer
10.  Help create social change at this year's IMPACT Conference (3/7-3/9)

I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I do know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve.
(Albert Schweitzer, 1875 – 1965, was a theologian, musician, philosopher, and physician)

Want to be more involved with the OVP?  Attend any of our spring programs!  The schedule is online at: http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/spring08.htm.

1.  DONORS FOR LIFE BLOOD DRIVE

Donate blood!  This coming Monday, February 4th from 10am - 4pm, in room 407 of the Union.  Free T-shirt to all donors!

2.  I HEART RELAY BENEFIT CONCERT

Colleges Against Cancer is having a big event coming up- its feb. 8, at 7 pm in Foellenger...its called I heart Relay- it's a kickoff event for this years Relay for Life

Help support a great cause and come to Colleges Against Cancer official kickoff to Relay for Life 2008. Last year we raised over $250,000 to donate to the American Cancer Society making us the largest fundraiser on campus.

At this event you will get a feel for what Relay for Life is all about. You will learn important information about Relay for Life, hear from a cancer survivor and be entertained by some of the best musical groups on campus.

Entertainment Includes:
No Comment -- No Strings Attached -- Chai Town -- Ripchords -- Girls Next Door -- Vitality -- Illinettes -- Drumline

Tickets can be purchased for $5 at Ticket Central (located at the Union) or all day on the quad (by the union) February 6th and 7th or at the door. All money raised will be donated to Colleges Against Cancer.

Special Notes:
-Team that brings the most people will win a special surprise prize!
-Please email cacuofi at gmail.com if you are a team captain and would like to be made an admin so you can invite your team to this event.
-Team registration will be available at this event.

3.  CAMP KESEM IS LOOKING FOR 2008 SUMMER CAMP COUNSELORS

Camp Kesem is an Illinois RSO that provides a free week-long summer camp to children ages 6-13 who have a parent who has cancer or has passed away from cancer. We are currently looking for both male and female students who would be willing to volunteer to be camp counselors for our 2008 summer camp. Camp this year will be held from August 8-13. It is an experience you will never forget. For information and applications visit campkesemillinois.org or email mheppe2 at uiuc.edu.

4.  BABYSITTERS NEEDED

I have been asked to help locate some babysitters for a Latino outreach meeting Feb 7th from 6:30-8 PM (they would need to arrive by 6:15 PM) at Booker T Washington (sponsored by Latino partnership).  Five -fifteen children are expected.  I think 3-5 volunteers would be needed.  A video, books, paper & crayons and a small snack will be provided.  If you’d like to volunteer, contact Beverley Baker at beverley at uwayhelps.org or (217) 352-5151.

5.  *OVP’S 2ND ANNUAL SERVICE AND LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE

2nd Annual Service and Leadership Conference Sunday, February 24 Does your organization have a new project, but you're not sure where to start? Would you like to streamline your current marketing and fundraising strategies? Need advice on volunteer recruitment? This is the conference for you!

6.  WESTVIEW ELEMENTARY’S ANNUAL FUN FEST

This year's Fun fest will be on Friday February 28th from approximately 5:30 to 8:30pm at Westview school (Russell and John Street in Champaign).  They need students to help run carnival games in each of the 18 classrooms.  To help out, contact Gaby McClellan on her cell at 217-819-0673 or email her at gabrielamcclellan at yahoo.com.

7.  BOY SCOUTS AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM

The Champaign Boy Scouts of America branch is looking for a few college students to help with an After School Scouting Program.  These students don’t need to know anything about scouting, and will be provided training.  Suggested availability is 3:00-5:00 Monday through Friday but this can vary if need be.  You’d be working with kids 6-14 and doing activities such as crafts, games, team building, knots, and citizenship.  If you’re interested, please contact Lovetta Ash-Simpson at losimpso at bsamail.org.

8.  ORPHEUM CHILDREN’S SCIENCE MUSEUM VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES

This will be an eventful spring at your Orpheum Children's Science Museum.
Here are some of the ways that you can participate.

Docent Training Begins Again!
Friday Mornings in February the 1st-29th, 10am to 12pm
We had a great time at last semester's training and if you missed it then here is another opportunity. Our educational docents learn how to lead science based field trips for school groups here at the museum. The docents last semester also had the opportunity to help design their own curriculum, participate in exhibit development, and contribute to upcoming programs. This semester's training should also be a blast.

After-School Teaching Assistant's Needed
Mondays-Thursdays starting February 5th
Volunteers are needed to assist with the after school programs here at the Orpheum.Please visit our website at www.orpheumkids.org for details about the classes.

Weekend Wizards Assistants Needed
The next one is January 26th!
 Every fourth Saturday of the month we host our Weekend Wizards events from 1pm -3pm.Volunteers are needed to assist facilitation at these events.

Orpheum Crew
Every Monday from 2pm-4pm
Come help the museum grow! Crew members are responsible for maintaining the museum in many different capacities. We utilize this time to do all the things we cannot do while the museum is open from something as exciting as installing a new exhibit to something as mundane as changing the light bulbs the Orpheum Crew is the backstage force that keeps the museum running.

To be involved with any of these, contact the museum coordinator Meadow Jones at 217-352-5895 or meadow.orpheum at gmail.com.  For more information, visit www.orpheumkids.org.

9.  THE ILLINI 4000 FOR CANCER

The Illini 4000 sends a team of 25 riders across the United States each summer to raise money for cancer research.  This summer they are riding from Seattle to Washington D.C; the ride will begin during the last week of May 2008 and end no later than August 2, 2008. This year they hope to raise $100,000 for the American Cancer Society and Camp Kesem. If you are interested in riding or helping out, please contact Jonathan Schlesinger at jschles2 at uiuc.edu and check out the following websites: www.Illini4000.org & www.filmsthatmove .com (see the trailer)!!!

10.  HELP CREATE SOCIAL CHANGE AT THIS YEAR'S IMPACT CONFERENCE

Join hundreds of college students, administrators, faculty, national nonprofit organizations, socially-responsible companies and many others at the IMPACT Conference at Northeastern University in Boston, MA, on March 7–9, 2008.

You won’t want to miss this inspiring three-day conference, which will include a series of thought-provoking forums, plenary sessions, and student-led workshops as well as an Opportunities Fair, Oxfam America Hunger Banquet, powerful Opening Ceremony -- and even a few new surprises!

This event builds on the legacy set forth by the C.O.O.L. Conference and the Idealist Campus Conference, spanning an incredible 23-year history. You can be part of the effort to help build a global movement for turning ideas into social change.

To learn more about the IMPACT Conference and to register, please visit www.campusconference.org.

Contact: Nessa Stoltzfus at 617.728.2464 or nstoltzfus at OxfamAmerica.org.

Have a super-duper week!

Illini Union Office of Volunteer Programs
288 Illini Union
Phone: 217-333-7424
E-mail: ovp at uiuc.edu
Web: http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/