[Volunteers] OVP Digest for 3/24/2008 to 3/31/2008

Office of Volunteer Programs ovp at ad.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 24 15:16:29 CDT 2008

Monday, March 24, 2008
OFFICE OF VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS WEEKLY LISTSERVE
Brought to you by CUVolunteer.org, the most comprehensive list of volunteer opportunities in Champaign County

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

1.  OVP Service Workshop (3/30)
2.  International Service Event (4/2)
3.  Stratton Elementary School Carnival (4/25)
4.  Heartland Healthcare searching for musically-apt companion
5.  American Soldier Supply Drive (3/24-3/29)
6.  "Make an American Soldier's Day": Card-Making Event (3/27)
7.  Hunt For Heart (3/29)
8.  Help Elementary School Students in P.E.
9.  LifeQuest Center in need of web designer
10.  Help with the Carrie Busey Carnival (3/28)
11.  Help at the IL AfterSchool Network 22nd Annual Conference (4/18-19)

It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness.
~ Confucius (551 BCE - 479 BCE - Chinese thinker and social philosopher)

1.  OVP SERVICE WORKSHOP

OVP’s next workshop is designed to help YOU use campus resources to organize your own service project.  Have you ever wondered what untapped resources lie waiting for your use on campus?  Wait no more, because we will reveal them to you in this workshop, geared toward creating more, better service opportunities on campus.  The workshop will take place on Sunday 3/30.  Please email ovp at uiuc.edu to reserve your spot now! (Please put SERVICE WORKSHOP in the subject line.)

2.  INTERNATIONAL SERVICE EVENT

Interested in volunteering abroad?  Come listen to six registered student organizations (RSOs) talk about their experiences all over the world.  The event will take place on Wednesday, April 2nd at 7pm in Illini Room C.

3.  STRATTON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL CARNIVAL

If there are any groups out there who would like to help out with the school carnival at Stratton Elementary on April 25th, please contact Amy Sponsler (sponsler at uiuc.edu)

4.  HEARTLAND HEALTHCARE SEARCHING FOR MUSICALLY-APT COMPANION

As the volunteer coordinator at Heartland Healthcare, I currently have a resident that used to compose music and play the base fiddle.  I am hoping to get in touch with a music group or an individual with similar musical interests, who could volunteer some time to play and talk with my resident.  Please let me know who would be a good contact for such a project or forward this on to that individual.

Thank you for your help,
Hanah Crawford
Activity Director, ManorCare Champaign
430ACT at hcr-manorcare.com

5.  AMERICAN SOLDIER SUPPLY DRIVE

Hosted by: Omega Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.
When: Monday, March 24 to Saturday, March 29th
Where: La Casa Cultural Latina,Bruce Nesbitt African American Cultural Center, Busey-Evans, LAR, and ISR
Description: There’s something to be said about the American Spirit and we have heard countless times how thankful our American soldiers always are to receive letters, cards and packages from home. Here is yet another way you can send your appreciation to our heroes overseas. Please donate unused and packaged toiletries, clothing, and food.

For more information email betabeta at omegaphibeta.org

6.  "MAKE AN AMERICAN SOLDIER'S DAY": CARD-MAKING EVENT

Hosted by: Omega Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.
When: Thursday, March 27th, 2008
Where: La Casa Cultural Latina,1203 West Nevada Street
Time: 7pm - 9pm
Description: There’s something to be said about the American Spirit and we have heard countless times how thankful our American soldiers always are to receive letters, cards and packages from home. Here is yet another way you can send your appreciation to our heroes overseas. The U of I campus will be coming together: Greeks, student groups, and Individuals to make cards for our heroes overseas.

For more information email betabeta at omegaphibeta.org

7.  HUNT FOR HEART

Hosted by: Omega Phi Beta and Illini Heartbeats
Where: 100 Greg Hall
When:Saturday, March 29th
Time: noon - 4pm
It is a gigantic photo and riddle based scavenger hunt. On March 29, 2008, the U of I campus will be coming together: Greeks, student groups, and Individuals, to raise money for heart disease research, and have a great time together. The hunt will feature dozens of questions to test your brain and your team spirit. The entry fee for each team goes directly to the American Heart Association to support research, and the teams will compete for prizes and bragging rights.

Itinerary
10 am: Opening Events -- You’ll get your team question packet and go over the rules
10:30 – 3: The Hunt is On -- You’re off, to go find locations, answer random questions, do crazy stuff, take pictures and get points.
3-4: Closing Ceremony and Awards -- Grab some free food and drinks, and find out what prizes your team has won

How do I register?
Teams are 5 people each. Cost is $10/participant, or $50/team. Registering more than one team from any organization will get a discount (via refund).
Go online to www.illiniheartbeats.org, and click the HUNT FOR HEART link

For more informaion email betabeta at omegaphibeta.org

8.  HELP ELEMENTARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN P.E.

Thomas Paine Elementary School in Urbana is seeking UIUC undergrads to supervise small groups of students doing PE activities, under the direction of a certified teacher.

When: Mondays and Tuesdays from 1:00 –2:30 p.m.
Where: Thomas Paine School, 1801 James Cherry Drive, Urbana
Contact: Sandy Cooper, Principal at (217) 384-3602 or scooper at usd116.org

9.  LIFEQUEST CENTER IN NEED OF WEB DESIGNER

LifeQuest Center is a faith-based non-profit organization that provides education on managing work and life, healthy vs destructive relationships, etc.  We have recently changed the name of our organization and added a few new services.  We are in desperate need of a new website.  A friend of the Center has donated a very nice web page, but we have no expertise at the Center to build it.

Is there a volunteer graduate student in technology who would be up for the challenge of building a spectacular website for us?  It would be important that the volunteer share in our values as an organization.  You can check out our current website at www.familylifeskills.org to get an idea what we're about.  We would like the ability to update our website often, register clients and receive donations online.

You may contact me with any questions.

Thank you for your consideration:
Connie Glazik-Pierce
Executive Director, LifeQuest Center
217.351.3033 or connie at familylifeskills.org

10.  HELP WITH THE CARRIE BUSEY CARNIVAL

The Carrie Busey Carnival is on March 28th from 5 to 8pm.  We can use volunteers for any of these times.
3:00 to 5:00 for setup
5:00 to 8:00 during carnival
8:00 to 9:30 for cleanup

Carrie Busey is on West Kirby in Champaign - about 2 miles off campus.

We will need a total of about 100 volunteers so we can definitely use any help you can offer.  If you have any questions or need more information please let me know.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,
Kristian Sargeant
Carrie Busey PTA, Carnival Coordinator
202-1642 or 344-1266, or sargentkr at yahoo.com

11.  HELP AT THE IL AFTERSCHOOL NETWORK 22ND ANNUAL CONFERENCE

The Illinois AfterSchool Network needs help to put on its 22nd Annual Conference.  They expect 300 participants at Hawthorne Suites, 101 Trade Centre Drive in Champaign.  You can help in the following ways:

FRIDAY April 18
5 volunteers Friday at Registration Desk
        3 of the 5 could facilitate sessions at 1:15pm
        All stay until 4:15pm

SATURDAY April 19
5 volunteers for Registration Desk
        7:30am to 11:00am

SATURDAY
10 volunteers to facilitate sessions
        9:15am to 4:00pm

Duties:
Register Conference Attendees
Collect Registration Money
Hand Out Conference Packets/Bags
Facilitate in Conference Sessions

Hours:
Friday -- 7:30am to 4:45pm
Saturday -- 9:15am to 4:00pm
Half day shifts preferred

To help out, please contact Judy Hartley at hartley1 at ad.uiuc.edu.

Have a sensational week!

Illini Union Office of Volunteer Programs
288 Illini Union
Phone: 217-333-7424
E-mail: ovp at uiuc.edu
Web: http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/