[Volunteers] OVP Weekly Volunteer Listserve 9-29

Office of Volunteer Programs ovp at illinois.edu
Tue Sep 30 13:49:13 CDT 2008

Monday, September 29, 2008
OFFICE OF VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS WEEKLY LISTSERVE
Brought to you by CUVolunteer.org, the most comprehensive list of volunteer opportunities in Champaign County

TABLE OF CONTENTS
 1. Graduate and Professional School Fair October 1
 2. Harvest Fest Saturday, October 4
 3. Donors for Life Blood Drive October 6
 4. Illini Dance Marathon October 6,7
 5. Transitions Resale Store
 6. Prairie Seed Collection October 12, 26
 7. Volunteer Reception Center October 20
 8. Nightmare on Grove St. Oct 25
 9. Halloween Fun Fest October 27
10. Halloween Party October 30
11. Virginia Theatre
How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.  ~Anne Frank

1. Graduate and Professional School Fair

Looking for Volunteer Oppurtunity? The Graduate and Professional School Fair is in need of a lot of volunteers on October 1st 2008, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m..Tasks will be helping students register/swipe I-cards, directing representatives to their tables, assisting representatives with materials set-up, directing traffic and parking, delivering lunches to representatives, and other tasks as needed. For more information contact Preeti Singh pbsingh2 at illinois.edu<mailto:pbsingh2 at illinois.edu> or call at 312-953-1212.

2. Harvest Fest

Are you a lover of the fall season? Candy Hay Hunt, Face Painting, Fall Corn Fling and Pumpkin Ring Toss are just some of the games with help running for this fall festival. Contact Jody Groff 398-2550 or jody.groff at cparkdistrict.com<mailto:jody.groff at cparkdistrict.com> Saturday, October 4, 10am-1:30pm and 1:30-5pm at Prairie Farm.

3. Donors for Life Blood Drive

Want to help save lives by giving blood? Come out to the Donors for Life Blood drive on
Monday, Oct. 6th from 10am-4pm at the Illini Union Room C. Participates receive a free ILLINI FOOTBALL T-Shirt sponsored by UI athletics!

Come save a a life! As always, lunch will be served.

4. Illini Dance Marathon

 Do you like to dance? Are you looking for a new way to get involved on campus? Do you want to help make a difference in a child's life? If so, become a part of DANCE MARATHON!Dance Marathon is a 15-hour event on college campuses and this is U of I's first year doing it! It is hosted by Children's Miracle Network and is full of dancing, entertainment, free food, and fun.

General Meetings: October 6th at 8:15 p.m. in 141 Loomis Lab and October 7th at 8:15 p.m. in 112 Chem Annex. For more information contact Illini Dance Marathon at General at IlliniDM.org.

5. Transitions Resale Store

Do you love organizing? The Center for Women in Transition Resale Store is in need of volunteers. For more information contact:  Monique M. Phagan (217)352-7151 ext. 32 or storemanager at cwt-cu.org<mailto:storemanager at cwt-cu.org>

6. Prairie Seed Collection

Spend a beautiful fall afternoon at Champaign County Forest Preserves. Volunteers will gather prairie flower and plant seeds for next planting next spring. Environmental Experts will be instructing volunteers on proper seed removal and plant identification. Help us grow . . . sign up today!!

Opportunity Date #1: 10/12/2008 - 1:30 - 3:30 pm
Opportunity Date #2: 10/26/2008 - 1:30 - 3:30 pm
For more information contact Kim Horbas khorbas at ccfpd.org<mailto:khorbas at ccfpd.org> or at (217) 586-3360

7. Volunteer Reception Center

Voluunteers needed to help a staff training at the Volunteer Reception Center. On Monday, October 20, 2008 from 2:30-3:30 PM. For more information Contact Amy Sponsler at (217) 244-7675 or at sponsler at illinois.edu<mailto:sponsler at illinois.edu>

Special Events
8. Nightmare on Grove St.

Do you enjoy scaring people? Help us run our spooky game area, manage our hayrack rides and be a scary extra in our haunted house. Contact Jody Groff 398-2550 or jody.groff at cparkdistrict.com<mailto:jody.groff at cparkdistrict.com> October 25, Set up 10am-1pm and event 1-4pm at Douglas Community Center.

9. Halloween Fun Fest

 Help run games for our Halloween event that draws thousands of area children. Contact Jody Groff 398-2550 or jody.groff at cparkdistrict.com<mailto:jody.groff at cparkdistrict.com>  October 27, set up 4-6pm and event 6-9pm at Market Place Mall.

10. Halloween Party

Want to get dressed up and have a blast? CUSR is hosting a Halloween Party where costumes are required! We will be eating pizza and playing games. Volunteers are asked to help with set-up of the party and helping to run the games. October 30th  5:30-10:30pm. For more information contact Jessi Bernstein (217) 239-1152 or at jessica.bernstein at cparkdistrict.com

 11. Virginia Theatre

The theatre is offering several volunteer opportunities from Concessions to Crowd control.  For more information Contact Anthony Howell 356-9053 or Anthony.howell at cparkdistrict.com<mailto:Anthony.howell at cparkdistrict.com>

Upcoming Opportunities
 (Movie) 2001 A Space Odyssey – Saturday, October 11, 11:45am-3pm and 5:45pm-9pm
CU Theatre Company’s Little Shop of Horrors – October 23-25 (Wed-Sat), 5:15-9:30pm and October 26 (Sun), 1:15-4:30pm

Stop by or call the Office of Volunteer Programs (OVP) to learn about other ways to get involved.  We can be the doorway for you to help meet community needs in areas such as adult literacy, AIDS/HIV, child care, disabilities domestic violence, education, environment, health care, homelessness, hunger, immigrant needs, legal services, mentoring or senior citizens  Visit us on the web at www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp.

Have a Great Week!
>From OVP

Illini Union Office of Volunteer Programs
288 Illini Union
Phone: 217-333-7424
E-mail: ovp at uiuc.edu
Web: http://www.union.uiuc.edu/ovp/