[BfB(oG)] U of I for Nader?

Jim Buell jbuell at uiuc.edu
Sat Aug 26 17:43:22 CDT 2000

Another quick thought. Unlike the case the major parties, these "top
contributors" lists for the Nader are for real (except in the case of a
gigantic entity like the UI or U of Calif, which are each the 'employer' of
record for maybe, what,  100,000 people if you count all the students,
teachers, staff and faculty on all the campuses).

What I mean is, Nader's accepting no PAC money, and there's no such thing
as a Green Party war chest. Whereas the Dems, GOP and quite a few minor
parties are PAC'd to the gills and have "national committees" and "state
committees" that are nothing but slush funds. The "hard" money that's
subject to reporting and $1000 limits, and that opensecrets.org is using
for its figures, is only the tip of a very dirty iceberg.

So, for instance, when we hear that Nader is budgeting $5 million total for
the campaign, that's a real figure. Whereas when we hear that Gore has $53
million or Bush has $100 million, that's only the hard money portion. It
still says nothing about the soft slushy stuff.

Jim