[Community] Re: Communication and decisions structure proposal (ideas wanted!)

Nicole Pion nicole.pion at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 16:59:00 CDT 2009

Beth,
I think this is a great idea.  I often struggle with the IMC's communication
strategies because we are non-hierarchical, so, all members have equal
access to information.  However, there are some people who don't want all
the info!  And, now that we are employing people, the dynamic is changing.
For fundraising purposes, we need to have a "public face"  list but for
day-to-day work, we need an internal operations list...all without
subjecting people to being on too many lists.

I propose that we keep the IMC at ucimc.org list as the public face, since
there are so many people already signed up for this and it is already on a
lot of the materials that we have floating around in the community.

We can have core-spoke/steering list made up easily.  I believe that was a
community connections project anyhow?  I'm sure it will be easy to create.
Let's put it on our to-do list for the next meeting.  Speaking of, do we
meet this Wednesday at 11?

Finally, we will have a stewardship-type list in place shortly.  I have
asked all working groups with AmeriCorps to designate someone to be part of
this list (this should cover all the groups).  I can put it together within
the next week or so.

Other thoughts and ideas?  I'm glad that we are having this broader
conversation about communication at the IMC.  It is important for our growth
and will also help with how we matriculate people into the IMC community.

Nicole

Nicole Pion
Outreach and Development Adviser
AmeriCorps CTC VISTA