[Community] [IMC] Phone and Services Policy

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 14 11:30:35 CDT 2010

I'm somewhat curious about in what capacity representations of  "working
for the IMC" actually was.

If it was for reporting, then that does become somewhat of a touchy
issue. In some sense, anyone who does reporting and chooses to use the
IMC to post their reporting is an IMC reporter. This happens all the
time on the website.

On the other hand, IMC working groups can and do have some control over
those who choose to become involved actively in their work. It is
possible for them to choose to establish a process to "become a member
of the IMC Production group," a member of RFU," or "a member of the
Public i" for instance.

So I just wanted to establish some clarity on this particular point, as
it goes to the root of our beginnings in participatory journalism and
the IMC Principles of Unity. We need to be careful not to be too
restrictive here on that particular point.

However, this does not mean that reasonable restrictions on use of the
IMC phone, for instance, are not warranted, whether or not those
involved are IMC members. It needs to be restricted to IMC business,
simply because we don't have the resources to support its use for
personal business.
Mike Lehman

Elizabeth Simpson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There has been some lack of clarity around phone use, keys, and also
> about charging for services performed while at the IMC.
>
> Carly, Brian, Meme, Chris R. and I have met to draft a policy we'd
> like to see go into effect immediately. If you (spokes) agree, we
> propose that the membership would be notified of the policy as being
> in effect until the next steering meeting, at which time we'll address
> and confirm it.
>
> It's like this:
>
> The IMC phone is for IMC-related business only, and is not available
> for incoming or outgoing personal calls.
> Individuals or groups who do not have an explicit agreement (e.g.
> lease) with the IMC may not charge for services performed at or
> through the IMC. This policy does not affect Shows Group, other events
> organized by working groups, or people renting the space.
>
> Only people who are paid by the IMC can represent themselves as
> working for the IMC.
>
> (The technical language for the next piece exists somewhere as the key
> policy- Joy, can you provide it as a reminder to us?)
> Only certain members of working groups and tenants have keys. Keys are
> not transferable. You may not give your key to another person.  If you
> no longer want your key, turn it in to the bookkeeper.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> There are a few individuals, including Derrik, who were not aware of
> these types of things, and Meme and Brian are going to speak to them
> about it.
>
> We continue to work towards clarifying our policies so that everyone
> can have a healthy and fruitful IMC experience. Go IMC!
>
> -Elizabeth
> Community Connections
>

> I freed a thousand slaves. I could have freed a thousand more if only
> they knew they were slaves.
>
> -Harriet Tubman
>

> --
> believed to be clean.