[Community] [IMC] Phone and Services Policy

Edwin Hawkes oltime1 at att.net
Sun Mar 14 12:54:39 CDT 2010

I believe that Derrick has been doing some stuff with Odd Music, and
they have been helping him with some recording. I wasn't aware that he
was trying to make money, if that is the case, then I believe he should
be restricted from that, and I would put restrictions on him using the
equipment in the main space. I see him occasionally bring friends in
with him, but I don't know if he is trying to charge them for recording
there, or whether he is trying to practice his art. I guess that should
be clarified. He has tried loosely to attach himself to Shows, but only
helps occasionally, like showing up for one show in three months to help
set up a few chairs, or marginally assist with sound. I would _not_ at
this time consider him a member of the shows working group, to the
extent where I would approve a key. I do know Derrick has mentioned that
he considers the IMC to be his "family", and I'm not sure as to what the
context of that is. He could be a productive member, but may need some
specific direction on what we need him to do. He has mentioned that he
can do some maintenance type work, and there was some talk of him
repairing the plaster around the hot water pipes in the main space. On
the other hand I'm not convinced that Derrick will follow through with
what he promises. I don't completely know Chris Evan's history with the
IMC, but I have seen him do a lot around there at times. Currently he is
working to organize the art show for Boneyard and IMC Fest at the IMC. I
don't think that entails the use of the phone, but access to computer,
and email is needed. Chris has also come in and helped at shows
occasionally. I thought that Chris was a member of production, and I
know he occasionally works on video stuff for Citizens for Peace and
Justice.  Anyway that is my take on the two individuals in question at
this time, vague as it is.  I think that the proper term to use, unless
you do actually receive a salary would be I volunteer at the IMC, and we
should encourage anybody that is a member of a working group to use that
phrase. Americorps should probably say that they're an Americorps member
at the IMC. I agree that some policy needs to be in place in regards to
phone use, and computer access, outside of the public computers. That
way the staff people can use the policy as a way to let people know they
shouldn't be using the phone. The main issue is going to be with
enforcement, partly because it's impossible for everybody to know who
has permission and who doesn't. You would have to develop a list, and
keep it updated. You can restrict the access codes, but if the door is
open, and someone walks in and uses the phone, or computer, the person
staffing may not know if they have permission or not. Sorry for the
rambling, but just trying to work through this in my mind.

Thanks,

Ed

believed to be clean.