[Cprb] Meeting location... Please vote, ASAP

J. Wason jwason at prairienet.org
Mon Nov 10 03:47:35 CST 2003

At 11:20 PM 11/09/03 -0600, you wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>So, I'm really really sorry; I was never able to call the IDF at a time when
>they were open in the last week to get a room.  But I still think that it's
>important to meet on Tuesday at 6.  A couple of representatives from El
>Centro are available and the Campus Greens will come.  In talking to Ken
>tonight, he suggested that we figure out a regularly scheduled meeting time.
>So at this meeting, we should schedule meetings (and a place to meet) and
>figure out who else we're going to ask to co-sponsor (does anyone have that
>community list?)

Elaine has the most complete contact list of community organizations.

>So votes on where we should have Tuesday's meeting?
>1.  130 Lincoln Hall - Campus greens already have this room, but the only
>parking is at least a block away.
>2.  Green Street CoffeeHouse - bad parking, but there's a nice little room
>in the back.
>3.  Caffe Paradiso
>4.  One of the Urbana bars (office, esquire, iron post)- good parking, but
>it will be very hard to get students.
>5.  Other ___________
>
>The Campus Greens got out something like 50 requests for co-sponsorship to
>UIUC groups and have started to get some answers (even a request for a
>presentation from FarmHouse Fraternity...)
>
>I apologize for having messed up in finding a meeting place!
>
>-jen

Jen, I for one don't care where the meeting is.  I'll find it wherever it
is, if I'm in town.

It sounds like if it's on or near campus you lose community people, and if
it's too far off campus you lose students. That little room at the rear of
the Green St. Coffee House wasn't bad, but we had to chase those students
out last time, and I wouldn't count on being able to do that every time.

The IDF seems like the best compromise to me - near campus, decent parking,
etc.  My recollection is that it costs something to rent a room from the
IDF, but I could be wrong.  The McKinley Foundation might be another
possibility, or the campus YMCA.  Or maybe someplace in the Illini Union, I
don't know.  Parking is a problem at most of the on-campus locations.

I think one of the main considerations or requirements is that of privacy.

Having said all that, I don't have any definitive answers.  The IDF sounds
like the best all-around possibility, if we could use a room for free.

John