[CUWiN-Dev] status of RouteViz? Google maps?

tom tom at anotherwastedday.com
Sun Oct 2 10:13:01 CDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 03:03 -0700, Sean Fioritto wrote:
> Here is what I have so far:
>
> www.meshsandbox.com/cuwin.html

That looks pretty good! So just to be clear, this is all based on a list
independent of the wiki, right? It's been populated with similar
entries, but that's just to get started? It might be useful to actually
link it directly the wiki, because otherwise we're editing two different
sources with the same information.

> To add a node, just type an address into the box. It uses geocoder.us
> to figure out gps coordinates. And you can click on nodes to get a
> closer view, and then if you click on the generated link you can edit
> individual attributes.
>
> What would be useful? Obviously, there needs to be a way to delete
> nodes, and when adding a node type more information than just the
> address. So aside from the roughness, what should we add/fix?
>
> The markers are smaller icons because I discovered I could change
> them, so it would be pretty easy to create different icons for
> different nodes. Do we want different colors to indicate different
> clouds, or whether they are affiliated or not?
>
> What other attributes would be useful? I've just picked some nearly at
> random to give myself some fields to play with.

Fields that would be key for a development map would be some of the same
stuff that's on the wiki, most notably IP address and software version.

> Thanks for any feedback. I have almost no web development experience,
> except for what you see, so I realize it's terrible. One thing that
> definitely needs to be added is a login, because right now anyone can
> edit, add, etc. What is a good way to do this with PHP?

There are a number of ways to do it but assuming you're using sessions
of some kind already it's not hard to implement a little chunk of code
that stores a username and a hash of a password and then compares that
to a stored pair in, say, a MySQL database or a flat text file when
trying to access a 'restricted' page. If you want a hand with that I'd
be happy to help.

Overall that's looking pretty sharp.

Tom