[CUWiN-Dev] "make cuwin small" elaboration

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Wed Apr 19 19:36:18 CDT 2006

Chase Phillips wrote:
> Dave,
>
> Let's set 2 goals: one for ideal size and one for "wow I can't believe
> we could ever get this small and still work."  Setting those might
> lead to some unexpected innovation.  Also, you've got the idea that
> we're too big, so you should know how small we need to be to make that
> nagging voice in your head go away.
>
> Chase

I've added this information to the http://cuwireless.net/2006soc page -- please
keep sending in information/ideas for summer of code projects.  The more we have
the better.

--Sascha

> On 4/19/06, David Young <dyoung at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>>Here are some things that will make CUWiN smaller for devices with very
>>small ROM/RAM.
>>
>>Add more files to filter-syspkg/{trimlist,*-pass-omissions}.  Remove ntpd
>>altogether (easy).
>>
>>Use crunchgen(1).  This will yield the greatest reduction in size.
>>
>>Make tiny version of tcpdump (don't print anything, just filter and
>>record to a file; rare protocols removed).
>>
>>Build kernel w/o IPv6.
>>
>>Make it possible to build hslsd w/ only IPv6 or IPv4 (harder, may not
>>make a big size difference).
>>
>>Dave
>>
>>--
>>David Young             OJC Technologies
>>dyoung at ojctech.com      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933

Sascha Meinrath
Policy Analyst    *  Project Coordinator  *  President
Free Press       *** CUWiN               *** Acorn Active Media
www.freepress.net *  www.cuwireless.net   *  www.acornactivemedia.com