[CUWiN-Dev] cuwin + wifidog gateway?

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Thu Jun 7 16:41:40 CDT 2007

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 12:51:16PM -0500, aeh wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I'm working on a CUWiN project in Chicago for which we had hoped to
> build wifidog's gateway into our soekris nodes, with no luck so far.
> The only mentions of this idea that I can find are below, tantalizing
> but unhelpful.  It seems Sascha has made it work, perhaps other as
> wel?  If anybody has updates or leads or woudl like to collaborate on
> this, please let me know--I think it would be a big step towards an
> 'out of the box' community wireless solution.

To the best of my knowledge, nobody has made it work.  A good first
step may be to import the "client" part according to the instructions
for importing 3rd-party software into CUWiN:

http://svn.cuwireless.net/svn/cuw/trunk/doc/local/3rd-party-src.d/general-import-insns

There are lots of examples of 3rd-party programs in CUWiN.  They are
under http://svn.cuwireless.net/svn/cuw/trunk/extern-src/.  The vendor
branches are in http://svn.cuwireless.net/svn/cuw/vendor/.
The "reachover" Makefiles for those programs are in
http://svn.cuwireless.net/svn/cuw/trunk/src/.

Second step: add an "anchor" to PF, where WiFiDog can load and modify
such filters and redirects as it needs to for the captive portal function.
Next, modify WiFiDog to make it use pfctl(8) to modify the PF rules.

You can read all about PF here, <http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/>.
There is a book by Jeremy C. Reed.  One of our developers, Michael
Earnhart, has that book.  Maybe he will tell us how he likes it.

Let me know how else I can help you.

dyoung at ojctech.com      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24