[CUWiN-Dev] Re: CUWIN on Meraki Mini

Bob Keyes bob at sinister.com
Thu Feb 7 18:30:20 CST 2008

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Bao Q. Nguyen wrote:

> Bob,
>
> So if David can get CUWIN to compile for the Meraki Mini, which is the same
> MIPS processor that's on the WGT63U (Atheros 2515?) is running so then
> porting CUWIN to the WGT63U should be much simpler. Since the problem I'm
> seeing now with the Meraki is the limited 8MB flash, but if you can get the
> USB driver for NETBSD to loaded, you can use the USB device as the root
> partition then you no longer have the 8MB limit like the Meraki does.

That's my thought, but I'd actually like to find some way to fit it all
within 8mb. I was thinking that maybe some of the essential, but perhaps a
bit bloated, parts of NetBSD could be rewritten to be more compact.

> So I
> guess we can wait for David's progress on compiling CUWIN for the EVBMIPS
> platform.

Yes. I just wish I knew where I could help with the effort.

> Btw, how you get so many WGT63U? I wanted to get some more but I got my
> hands on 3 of them right around the time they announced to stop production.

When 'JustDeals' had them in quantity, myself, a friend, and the City of
Cambridge all bought large quantities from them. JustDeals was selling
them on ebay for quite some time. I sold several on Amazon. If my money
sitatuation gets any worse, I'll start doing that again.

> Is that the Linkgear 100 or something else? That one seemed expensive
> compare to the Meraki Mini or WGT63U.

It's not the 100, which was an sh4. This is something else, and it is
expensive, but he's got a lot of classy things in it which I can't
remember all of right now but I do know that while it has onboard Atheros
radios (as opposed to mini-PCI) that they are high-power and have good rx
sensitivity.

The other thing you get from Linkgear is that the tech support is awesome.
Maybe not for everone, but if you've got a difficult task that you need
hardware or software customization on, Linkgear would be worth it. Note:
David Claffey, their main US Engineer, is a friend of mine. I have no
other reason to toot their horn!