[Dryerase] The Alarm!--Op-Ed: Caltrans banner ban

The Alarm!Newswire wires at the-alarm.com
Thu Oct 17 22:43:38 CDT 2002

Freedom of speech demolished by new Caltrans ban on banners

by Patrick Letellier
The Alarm! Newspaper Contributor

Last week, I hung an anti-war banner, “WAR IS TERRORISM,” on the
freeway overpass at 41st Avenue. A man from San Jose helped me, each of
us holding it tight in the wind, using plastic fasteners to secure it
to the fence for all the world to see—or at least all the traffic going
south on Highway 1.

I felt particularly attached to this sign, among many others with
equally provocative messages, because I painted this one myself. I
spent a couple hours last Sunday in the parking lot behind the Resource
Center for Non-Violence turning this white, thrift-store sheet into my
own personal message against war.

Before hanging the sign, I attended a press conference led by two local
anti-war and free-speech activists, Amy Courtney and Cassandra Brown.
With others’ help, I held the sign in front of this and that camera,
and this and that reporter, hoping it would appear on TV or in a news
story.

The press conference was well organized, spirited and fun,
quintessentially Santa Cruz, but I have to confess: all I wanted to do
the whole time was get my sign on the freeway.

I realized then how hungry I am for messages in the media that reflect
my opinion about this ever-expanding so-called war on terrorism: that
it’s patently unnecessary, unjust and immoral. That it’s a war based
more on election-year politics, a stubbornly reticent economy and
corporate profit than it is on weapons of mass destruction, security in
the Middle East or the exporting of democracy.

But opinions like mine, hardly revolutionary or radical, particularly
when it comes to protesting a war, have been almost entirely absent in
the media. In an era of flag-waving nationalism and simplistic
approaches to complex international problems (“You’re either with us,
or you’re with the terrorists”), there is little room for serious
discussions of peace. If you’re against this war, you’re likely to be
labeled out of touch with reality, just plain stupid or anti-American.

This monolithic view paves the way to war without a vigorous and
healthy debate, and leaves millions of peace-loving Americans without a
voice in our national policy. In response, some of us have filled the
streets in protest, in San Francisco, Washington DC, and other cities.
Others, as was the case last week, have taken to the freeways.

Yet there seemed little room even for my freeway sign. We had only
begun to hang it when a man in a pickup truck drove by screaming,
cursing and gesturing wildly. I wondered if we were going to be
assaulted. Countless other people “saluted” us in a similarly obscene
fashion, while others honked their horns in approval, smiling, waving
and flashing us the peace sign (it’s amazing what a difference one
finger makes).

Eleven anti-war banners were hung that morning on freeways around Santa
Cruz, but when I checked on some of them not an hour after hanging
mine, three had already been taken down. So threatening are these
messages of peace, and so vehement are the war’s supporters, that
motorists stopped and ripped them down.

Now Caltrans has announced that, for safety reasons, it will prohibit
all signs on freeways across the state. Given the past year, in which
thousands of pro-USA, pro-war signs and countless American flags have
been posted on freeways without incident, Caltrans’ reasoning is
dubious at best. I can’t help but wonder what has been deemed unsafe:
the signs themselves or their message of dissent?

Freedom of speech sounds great in theory, but when the rubber meets the
road, so to speak, it takes nerve to express a less-than-popular view.
I will continue to make freeway signs, if only to remind people it’s
not only okay to speak out for peace, it’s absolutely necessary. As
necessary as any other freedom we enjoy in this country.

      All content Copyleft © 2002 by The Alarm! Newspaper. Except where
noted otherwise, this material may be copied and distributed freely in
whole or in part by anyone except where used for commercial purposes or
by government agencies.