[Dryerase] The Alarm!--Eye on the INS--Eavesdropping

The Alarm!Newswire wires at the-alarm.com
Sat Sep 21 14:08:46 CDT 2002

Eye on the INS
A forum addressing the INS and immigration policy

Welcome to Shoney’s. Our Special Today is American Pie. Would You Like
the Eavesdropping or the Non-Eavesdropping Section?

 By Michelle Stewart
The Alarm! Newspaper Collective

Welcome to the new America, where security is the bottom-line and the
ends always justifies the means—in fact, the means create “National
Heroes.”

An America where you might find yourself sitting beside Eunice Stone or
someone who thinks like her. Where a breakfast stop on a roadtrip might
find you pulled over the next day, detained for 17 hours and made a
national spectacle. An America where the hearsay of one woman in a
restaurant might cost you your job.

You see, for Eunice Stone, President Bush’s speeches about Homeland
Security, the Citizen’s Corp and TIPS (Terrorism Information and
Prevention System) resonated and she believed it her duty to stay
alert, always taking due notice of things that seem out of place. And
things were decidedly out of place for her when she went to a Shoney’s
Restaurant in Georgia on September 12, 2002. Just one day after the
anniversary of 9/11, perhaps Eunice’s ears were a wee bit too pricked
as she honed in on a discussion at a neighboring table that hosted
three men of apparent Arab descent.

According to Eunice she felt compelled to call 9-1-1 after she heard
them utter statements like, “they think they were sad on 9/11, wait
until 9/13,” and “do you think we have enough to bring it down?”
Convinced she was dining with al-Qaeda, she immediately called the
police despite the comment by her own son that perhaps the men were
pulling her leg. After calling the police and reporting her
eavesdropping, Eunice went about her day, as the authorities began a
manhunt for the two vehicles carrying the three men.

At 1 a.m., Florida police pulled over the two vehicles and took the men
into custody—thus beginning the melodrama in Alligator Alley, a stretch
of I-75 in southern Florida. Cop car after cop car descended upon the
scene as the men were detained, police dogs reportedly sniffed for
explosives, the “suspects” emphasized they were medical students, the
bomb squad  came out, the media jumped on the story, the men continued
to demand what they were being charged with, police reported the plates
on the car were stolen and the men were uncooperative, the family of
one man held an impromtu press conference demanding the release of
their relative, the police bomb robot came up empty-clawed and the news
continued to run live coverage of the men’s cars being systematically
dismantled in search of bombs or other devices. For 17 hours this went
on. Eunice Stone became a celebrity as people called her a national
hero for saving us from the three suspicious Muslims—as the men were
held in detention with no evidence of wrong-doing.

But the next day, Eunice was quick to note to Fox News reporters that
she doesn’t have a “habit” of eavesdropping—great to know, thanks
Eunice! As Eunice was being interviewed on shows like Fox News, calls
and emails began to flood into Larkin Community Hospital, the
institution that confirmed the three men were signed up for the
nine-week course. On Saturday, as Eunice’s face and voice began to fade
from cable news shows, Dr. Jack Michel, the president of Larkin
Community Hospital stepped up to prove the story could become more
ludicrous.

Stating that the hospital had received over 200 “threatening, ethnic,
racial emails directed at Muslim-Americans,” the good doctor announced
the school is asking the three men to transfer to another hospital.
Saying it would be in the “best interest” of the students to move on to
another hospital, Michel noted he was concerned about the health and
safety of the staff and patients of his hospital after receiving the
threatening emails and phone calls.

So, from a roadtrip that began in Chicago bound to a hospital in
Florida, it takes but one phone call from a worried citizen to cause
three men to be detained for nearly a full day, to be demonized on
national TV and lose their jobs by the end of the weekend. Fairly
impressive, this new America we live in. As Ayman Gheith points out,
“how many other people witnessed this event that supposedly took
place?” But what does he know, he was just one of the three men in
question.

Although some phone calls have come into Larkin Community Hospital in
support of the men, very few people are going to bat for Ayman Gheith,
Kambiz Butt and Omar Choudhary. Very few people care if the careers of
these future medical professionals are forever altered because one
woman chose to make a phone call. Perhaps fewer people are wondering if
Eunice Stone’s intentions were in the right place when she picked up
the phone—did she think, hmmm, this could get me on TV? That the men
involved say she fabricated the whole story seems to be lost both in
the news and in the minds of a majority of news viewers.

Do we look around the restaurant and choose a booth based on who we
think won’t listen in on our conversations, or better yet, do we look
around a restaurant and chose a booth based on who we think has the
best “listening skills?” Eunice was quick to tell us all that she isn’t
a professional eavesdropper.  Maybe things would be a lot different for
three medical students today if she were.

This is the America we are asked to embrace. Where TIPS guarantees you
the right to point at your neighbor and cry foul, where the Citizen’s
Corps asks you to become more familiar with police policy and volunteer
to assist, where the Office of Homeland Security joins hands with the
Justice Department to hide hundreds of people in detainment for the
sake of national security.

What ever happened to the days when we made fun of the weird lady who
spied on people and eavesdropped—where she was socially marginalized
for being a snoop? All I know is that she has been replaced with the
same model, but we call her a national hero.

Why would someone call Eunice Stone a national hero? What did she save
us from, as a nation? Will she be turned into a stamp to commemorate
her actions? I hope so, then we can officially regard her as a National
Reminder of how ludicrous and troubling these times truly are. I will
lick Eunice and plop her on my letters and think about how backwards
we, as a nation, can get. And as I mail Eunice off, years from now
(since it takes a while, and you must be dead, to become a stamp) I
will reflect on Ayman Gheith’s statement to the press when he was
released. “I have one message, I think it’s time for us as Americans to
put down our big sticks and pick up our books and read about other
people and read about what they believe before we jump to conclusions.”

Indeed, there was something suspicious lurking about in that restaurant
last Thursday, but between you and me, I don’t think it was three
medical students—I think it was one woman with an overactive
imagination, coupled with a wee bit of…well, you fill in the rest.

       All content Copyleft © 2002 by The Alarm! Newspaper. Except
where noted otherwise, this material may be copied and distributed
freely in whole or in part by anyone except where used for commercial
purposes or by government agencies.
-----
The Alarm! Newspaper
a local weekly newspaper for an engaged populace

http://www.the-alarm.com/
info at the-alarm.com
P.O. Box 1205, Santa Cruz, CA 95061
(831) 429-NEWS - office