[IMC-US] Setting up IMC-US:

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ojctech.com
Thu Aug 28 10:53:28 CDT 2003

Hi Boud,

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, boud wrote:

> hi sascha,
>    IMHO, IMC US is intended to be a regional, bottom-up grouping of
> existing IMCs - it's not clear whether the new-imc process is either
> necessary or sufficient for approval by the network.

Alright, I'll cc imc-process on correspondences from here on out.  Also,
be aware that the affinty group that is working on setting up the IMC-US
should be cc-ed on stuff <imc-us at ucimc.org> -- I'm a liaison from this
group who's working on getting us through the Global process, but I don't
speak on its behalf.

> However, since IMC US is asking for some sort of "legitimacy" from the
> network by going through the process, then you should expect some real
> discussion, which is why for the moment you're not ready for a 3-day
> internal deadline, and certainly not for a 1-day deadline!

I wish the process were better spelled out.  It's very confusing since the
process laid on on http://docs.indymedia.org/view/Global/NewImcHowTo
states:

> Your new-imc contact proposes your site
>
> internally to new-imc, if no one blocks within 3 days, this is passed to

> one blocks there within 7 days, then...
> you become part of the network.

I have been trying to follow the process, but it seems that it's fairly
implicit and when one doesn't know the rules people get angry with you.

> Please once again read
>
> http://docs.indymedia.org/view/Global/NewImcHowTo
>
> It seems to me that you have not done, e.g. step 3.  In order to get
> password access to locally manage your own contact database entry, you
> need to go through step 3.

I've been trying to do "step 3" for 3+ weeks!!!  I filled out the form
several weeks ago, but apparantly nothing happened.  I figured it would be
taken care of.  I've been trying to access the http://newimc.indymedia.org
page, but keep getting server errors...  it's not that we're ignoring the
process, but something isn't working and I wouldn't want to get held up
indefinitely by technical problems/

> In addition to blicero's and rosa's concerns, it would be nice to have
> a full set of answers to the
>
> http://docs.indymedia.org/view/Global/MembershipCriteria
>
> especially:
>
> * decision-making method
>
> * face-to-face meetings

I think these are fairly well covered in the IMC-US proposal, but I agree
that having them in a point-by-point format would be useful.  I'll get on
this ASAP and get that out to the IMC-process and New-IMC lists.  Thanks
for the feedback and let the IMC-US group know what else should be done.

In solidarity,

--Sascha Meinrath