[IMC-US] questions from new-imc

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ojctech.com
Thu Aug 28 11:37:32 CDT 2003

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Chris Anderson wrote:

> Hi everyone, Chris Anderson (non-liason) from NYC-IMC.
>
> This is a tad bit frustrating. From what I can tell,
> new-imc is basically telling us we need to solicit
> feedback from EVERY US based imc in the network
> (although I thought we did this once already, else,
> how would New York know about it?) and then engage in
> an undetermined ammount of online debate until we have
> fufilled some deliberative quota (again, i thought
> thats what we'd been doing) at which point the new imc
> application will be "considered."

This is one of the pieces of feedback we've received.  EVERY US IMC has
been contacted on multiple occasions.  The way the syndication system will
be set up is that any IMC can _opt out_ of the project.  I think that this
should address this concern.

> I get a sense from this forward that the initiave of
> setting up a us based imc could potentially take a
> long time and "bleed to death"? but perhaps i'm wrong
> about that, i don't have much experiance at all in
> global issues.

It could -- this is why it's important to have multiple, multiple people
who are interested in seeing this project happen be active on both the
IMC-Process at lists.indymedia.org and New-IMC at lists.indymedia.org lists.
We've put a lot of time and energy behind the project, there's a ton of
skills within our group, it's been talked about for years now -- I think
it'll move forward as long as we stay on top of things.

> Maybe the best way to go forward is to ask (yet again)
> for the official liasons of each city to chime in (and
> if there is no official liason, someone else from a
> city ) about whether their city thinks a us imc is a
> good idea. that way we'll know what cities are
> actually on-board and if there is additional outreach
> that needs to be done.

Feel free to do this -- I figure that the more input the better.

--Sascha