[IMC-US] banners, and width, and some visioning questions

bht bht at indymedia.org
Wed Dec 29 12:16:48 CST 2004

the reason i would like to expand the site to the full page width rests
mostly with the syndicated feature wire.  some rss feeds import the images
with the features, this is great, it makes the site look very dynamic.

however, the text next to the image is usually crammed and odd looking, i
think by expanding the width it would also espand the width of the synd.
newswire.  if I am wrong about this I will digress and just look to get it
centered.

however, i remember from before changing of the page to match the banner
the synd. newswire was wider.

also, in the mail that dan has responded too were questions of vision and
such.  i think that if folks would rather not discuss the vision of the
site that they have and help to form a common vision for the site, it is
relatively useless.  so i do ask as nicely as possible that folks respond
to it.

and as i stressed before, i would love to hear from the folks that were at
the allied media conference this summer where we talked about this and the
site that exists now came from.  i will send another mail in a few
minutes.
bht

ahhh! daniel scott
> sup yall,
>
> remember that if you expand the site you are looking at putting a new
> stretch of uniform color somewhere in the banner.  I agree the best
> place to do this would be where the ((i)) meets the image. But even
> here i think it throws off the balance of the banner, and makes it look
> a little broken.
>
> ex. of two places to expand the banner
> http://rumpus.rackhost.net/bannera.png
> http://rumpus.rackhost.net/bannerb.png
>
> i think we should center the site and leave the expandable option alone.
>
> dan
> nyc imc
>
> ------------------------------
>
> On Dec 18, 2004, at 5:49 PM, deva wrote:
>
>> I can be a variable width site if the indy (((i))) is separated from
>> the rest of the banner and the rest justifies right
>>
>> adding to the discussion, one thing that stands out to me is that the
>> majority of content is from a handful of local imc's - proportionally,
>> there is too much portland stuff, (or conversely, not enough other
>> stuff)
>>
>> one priority would be to get other local imc's syndicated
>>
>> cheers
>> deva
>>

>> On Dec 18, 2004, at 9:31 AM, Ana wrote:
>>
>>> also, i know there are folks who have argued that we should keep the
>>> site
>>> this width becuase it is friendlier to folks with small screens. they
>>> dont
>>> have to scroll across to read the site. one solution was to just
>>> center the
>>> site so that there is a white border on both sides, not just the
>>> right side.
>>> would that improve it for you enough, bht?
>>>
>>> i think it would be great if we could have an irc meeting soon. i
>>> will be at
>>> a family reunion from wedensday to wednesday but could do it before
>>> that or
>>> in 2005. thoughts?
>>>
>>> peace
>>> ana