[IMC-US] A good point about open publishing

john duda john at manifestor.org
Tue Jul 20 09:23:04 CDT 2004

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 11:45:11PM -0400, Ana wrote:

> Re New imc process:  I believe it was in our application that we would not
> have open publishing, precisely because of local IMC concerns that we were
> taking their local traffic away.

could you point me to the documents?  i've been having a really hard
time trying to trace out the imc-us approval process due to broken
mailman links in the archives, all the stuff i've seen so far has
indicated that usimc was approved on the assumption it would have an
op wire.

for example:

http://archives.lists.indymedia.org/new-imc/2003-September/004411.html
email from Sascha to new-imc outlining imc-us' committments to IMC Membership
Criteria

f. Agree to the use of Open Publishing as described in the NIMC Editorial
Policy [editorial collective comments: "We did agree that the term "Open
Publishing" was one that is still being defined by the Global Network
Collective, and we would wait and see what the results were before
rewriting this criteria]:

The IMC-US affinity group agrees to do this.

http://archives.lists.indymedia.org/imc-process/2003-October/005187.html

(philly imc's non-blocking suggestions)

- That the newswire have an open publishing feature as well as a syndication
feature, using for example the same format as the global site, to
encourage democratic participation in the news-making process.

i'm not trying to be disruptive, but i am really concerned that
launching an indymedia site with a strong editorial voice and a lack
of open publishing is setting a new and probably controversial
precedent, one which may generate a lot of animosity for the imc us
project in the global network.

john