[IMC-US] has everyone just gone up and left?

inner_alchemy at SAFe-mail.net inner_alchemy at SAFe-mail.net
Wed Nov 17 11:59:14 CST 2004

hey all:

> So, now that we have this "us.indymedia" site, and we have a roughshop way
> of using it, I think there are af ew steps we need to take to keep it
> working.

  If you have any bit of tech knowledge of rss feeds and the
> like, and you have a bit of time that you could set aside for outreach,
> perhaps you can contact local imcs that are having trouble with
> syndication and get them syndicated.  why do we need at least one person
> from each local?   so if we had at least one person from each
> local, then they could update their posts as necessary.

I don't have any rss knowledge, but i would be willing to put together a rough draft of a message for the imc's that don't take an active role/features aren't getting syndicated and send it to their general lists...
the message could remind peeps that us-imc was there, give them a tech email to contact if they are having trouble with their rss feeds, and they could contact another email if they want to learn more about adding their own syndicated features.  it appears the cities with features getting syndicated are the following, so i would want to check out to see who isn't and be sure to contact them...
* Michigan * DC * Boston * San Diego * Minneapolis *
* New York City * new Orleans * Arkasas * Hudson Mohawk *
* Portland * LA * Houston * Chicago * Tennessee *
* Santa Cruz * Pittsburgh * Madison *  Baltimore
* SF Bay (aka Indybay) *  St. Louis * Tennessee
* Urbana-Champaign * Western Mass
(ps, this is in addition to bradley's list of who's on the ed-list!)

> 2.  we should try to focus our feature making so it is less broad,
> especially from imcs that are making the same features and then they dump
> on the syndicated wire with a bunch of the basic same feature.  that looks
> bad, i think.  perhaps we can focus more on regional/local stuff to our
> respective indymedia.  I know that is tough and not something tha tis
> entirely likely.  but perhaps mostly just making sure that what is being
> featured isnt some article that is spammed to every local imc on the
> network.

i agree, but that takes more local imc work...

> 3.  i would like to see more people actively promoting articles,
> especially articles that dont originate from your local imc.  it would be
> nice to see a new promoted article each day and try to vary the imc it
> comes from.

i am scared to promote an article b'c i'm still sure what would qualify being promoted and what wouldn't.  there apears to be differences in what people think we should feature and what we shouldn't. maybe this could be a topic in a us-imc meeting soon?

> I am unsure of how much sense this all makes, but now that we have this
> figurhead of an imc that is a network of many local us imcs, we should
> also start to think about working in a networked fashion.

bht: whatcha mean, "working i a networked fashion"?  what idea/example do you have? (so i can get a visual)

SIDENOTE:  what can us-imc do to assist atlanta this weekend?  they need assistance, what can peeps do that are there?  what can peeps do who are still at home? (ie. radio interviews, special articles, etc)

SIDENOTE: we should begin thinking about dc and january 20th and how we want to do that.

"heart" - betsy :)
representing "THE LOU!"

www.stlimc.org
be the media