[IMC-US] Fwd: [Imc-communication] feedback on new feature: blogwire

sheri at speakeasy.org sheri at speakeasy.net
Wed Aug 3 16:36:54 CDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: patrick [mailto:patrick at indymedia.org]
Sent: Tuesday, August 2, 2005 11:58 PM
To: imc-communication at lists.indymedia.org
Subject: [Imc-communication] feedback on new feature: blogwire

Hi all,

There is a new feature being developed by mir techs for mir sites, and I'm
interested in getting some feedback.  Apologies if this is not relevant
for imc-communication, but I am interested in perspectives beyond tech.

The new feature is called a 'blogwire', which will use rss to include
selected blogs on a newswire, displaying headlines in the same way that
the current imc newswires do.

The headline on the imc blogwire could either link directly to the blog's
post, or could link to an imc article page, with a paragraph summary and
link to the blog post, and a space for users to comment on the blog.  This
is in case the blog folks do not want to deal with spam/troll moderation
issues.

The blogs would be selected by the local imc editorial collective.  The
general idea would be to include local blogs of political content, that
represent an organization (as opposed to personal diaries).  But one
political issue is whether to include only blogs from groups, or to also
include blogs published by one individual (who writes political
content/news).  The issue here being the privileging of certain voices.

Another issue is advertising.  If a blog contains banner or google ads,
should it be included in the blogwire?

This is a new way of including potentially strong content, but I see it
more so as a way to connect groups with each other, and broaden the reach
of imc.

Would love to hear any feedback, if you can cc' me that would be great.

Thanks,
Patrick

rss: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_(protocol)