[IMC-US] Feature Process - propose, 6 hour wait, promote

bht bht at indymedia.org
Fri Aug 5 13:40:19 CDT 2005

ugh.  i wish there were someone around to talk me out of sending a
message!  haha.  anyway.

so, the six hour wait is also the global imc standard.  originally we
wanted to not fall into that line, because it didnt work so hot for
global.  global is notorious for being managed by one to three people at
any given time.  even though there are probably 40 or so accounts to it.

the original agreement was that us imc volunteers would be able to
promote any local syndicated feature.  any features that were not local
features would need to be parsed with the six hour rule.

the idea was that if a local collective deemed a story feature worthy
then that should be trusted.  i think the idea of, as tarik put it,
"ONLY our best local stories", is something that will continue to rile.
That is because this is interpretive, the stories that I would think are
the best local ones from portland tend to also be the least journalistic
and styled, hence what most others would consider the "worst."  This is
because we have opposite ideas of what indymedia is and the local sites
have different intentions.

anyway.  luckily i have lost the desire to cintinue this mail.
indymedia.us has never had a driving focus and we have never had any
strong untiy for what the site is meant for.  right now, that is being
hashed out and from where i see it, it is coming to be something similar
to global.  and thats fine.

on this matter of a six hour wait period, i will stand aside and leave
the discretion of the site to those that are currently working on it.
bht
portland imc volunteer