[IMC-US] syndication issues

bht bht at indymedia.org
Tue Feb 15 11:54:48 CST 2005

hey matt, all.

i think it sucks as well that there is still so much dependance in
indymedia on the corporate media. the top promoted feature from nyc imc,
for example, links heavily to corporate media articles.

as i understand it indymedia is supposed to be a different type of news
source, documenting and offering the types of things that are
unrepresented or underrepresented in corporate or other media. over here
at portland imc, we do our best to uphold this. thats why most of the
features that come are of local actions and community based things that
you dont find in other media sources. however, some alternative papers
and even sometimes the larger corporate papers here follow pdx imc and
take stories fromt he site and expand upon them.

it is nice to see when other media outlets are basically following our
lead, and not the other way around.

in the global imc, there exists a heavy standard to not link to
corporate media in the 'abstract' of an article, and even in the bodywe
try to keep corpo links out of there. i would like to see something like
that. empowerment.

we dont need the corporate media, we dont have to lick at their heels.
we can produce media that no corporate media outlet can, to do that we
have to create ties with the communities that we serve.

anyway, i just want to support the idea of trying to reduce the
dependance on corporate media.
bht
portland imc volunteer