[IMC-US] Collaboration Project Launch

onto onto at riseup.net
Thu Jul 14 04:37:15 CDT 2005

Replies below

Tarik Abdelazim wrote:
> July 6, 2005
>
> LAUNCH OF NATIONAL COLLABORATIONS
>
> Hello, friends. At last nite's US-IMC meeting, there
> was much enthusiasm about collaborative projects
> between the many different national IMCs. See, many of
> us realize that the reporting we do in our communities
> is just a local iteration of a national phenomenon.
> Homelessness is little different in SF as in Atlanta
> and Michigan and Boston. So why not consider creative
> collaborations that clearly uncover our local stories
> as not isolated incidents but in fact repeated
> derviatives of the same institutional crises and
> injustices?

  This sounds great.I'm hoping that this not only shows the similarities
between different communities, but also the differences between similar
communities. How is this going to work? Using the wiki for stories?
Coordinating different features into one, or making news ones up
altogether?

> In other words, let's pool our resources. And let's
> mature our revolutionary media creation.

hell yeah.

> SO....With great interest in launching a collaborative
> project, we'd like to solicit suggestions. For
> instance, during our chat, we came up with the
> following possibilities...
>
> -Counter-recruitment efforts

great. theres a ton of activity in san diego right now too. and that nyc
site http://counterrecruiter.net is great too.

> -Walmarts in our communities

definitely agree. theres a walmart here so big that its not 'in' a
community, it is a community.

> -Homelessness
great. should this tie to gentrification, or is that separate?

Some other thoughts:

a) Borders - Migration, Immigrant Rights, Racism, and Resistance. Not
only is this a MAJOR issue in the southwest, but migrant rights,
discrimination, and detention centers are relevant everywhere in this
country. This topic might actually be two or three topics. I would
volunteer with someone else to work on this long-term colloboration, if
its consensed.

b) Radio - Seems like theres a pattern of free radio around the country
being shut down or harassed

c) Collectives - highlighting different local, community collectives
across the states working on similar issues in different regions.

> But we didn't think it was prudent to just launch this
> project until we heard from others. So please let us
> know what collaborative themes you or other IMCistas
> might want to contribute to, and post suggestions to
> the WIKI page titled "Collaborations." (coming
> soon...i think....)

Is it up yet? I'll do that soon.

> The goal is to have a theme chosen for AUGUST and then
> repeat this national collaborative theme every two
> months. We'll likely post a link to the national page
> once we choose a theme, and also use other
> communication tools to encourage IMCs to contribute
> stories to this exciting new national initiative.

This seems similar to the Critical Mass Radio Network, which chooses
translocal themes each month that are rebroadcast on different radio
stations across the country. Maybe imc-us and cmrn can colloborate more too?

> Any questions, please post here.

Anyone want to come to San Diego on September 16th to confront the
Minutemen, like our friends in Arizona have been doing?

> Peace, and in solidarity,
>
> Tarik Abdelazim
> Binghamton-IMC
>
> PS. I volunteered to write this, and I hope I didn't
> misrepresent the group's discussion. If so, I ask for
> the others to make comment. I have thick skin.

thanks for writing it Tarik. Sounds great.

entarteteKunst,
    onto

http://deletetheborder.org