[IMC-US] Collaboration Project Launch

Kat Aaron yourfriendkat at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 08:52:43 CDT 2005

Hey everyone -

I had written something back when Tarikh first wrote, and then I never
sent it.  Just wanted to echo and build on what into said - that this
reminds me of what we're trying to do with the Critical Mass Radio
Network (www.criticalmassradio.net), where we pick a theme or topic
each month for the nationally coordinated broadcast.

One thing we at CMRN have been struggling with or challenged by is
trying to find a topic that's broad enough to allow different cities
to make content relevant for their audience but not so broad as to be
meaningless.  In the past, we've done youth organizing, labor,
feminism - you can look back at the site to see some past examples.  I
think an IMC-US and CMRN collabo. would be great!

One publication that I think does really well playing with the broad
parameters is Clamor, which takes themes like Crime and Learning and
whatnot and lets people run with their interpretations.  Anyway, this
is really exciting!

Also, this is a little plug, but a relevant one - I work on a show
here in NYC called Wakeup Call, and we just did a three-part interview
with former Guantanamo detainee Moazzem Begg.  He was arrested in
Pakistan, taken to Baghram airbase in Afghanistan where he saw
soldiers kill detainees, and then spent almost three years in
Guantanamo before being released with no charges.  The interview is
only the second time that he's spoken with the US media, and never at
this length.  You can listen to it at www.wakeupcallradio.org, and
we'll have a transcript ready hopefully by this weekend.  Let me know
if you're interested in rebroadcasting the interview or whatever - we
might play it here during the next CMRN, coming up on the 29th.

Kat
NYC