[IMC-US] all-volunteer survey questions draft

bht bht at indymedia.org
Fri Mar 11 13:40:49 CST 2005

so i am starting to feel like this money situation is quite a big
distraction.  i definately agree with the houston folks that paying
people isnt the best thing and portland.indy is an all-volunteer effort,
we have used that wording for quite some time.  however, in this
'network' there is afforded to individual imc's a personal autonomy for
them to make such decisions based on what they feel is best.

i would like to leave it at that, i feel that the insistence of folks
from houston to continue bringing this up negates part of their
statement that says they dont expect other folks to agree with them.  it
feel like some of you really want to make this an issue.  the truth is
that some imc's pay people and that is working for them.  it doesnt work
for everyone.

i like the personal autonomy.  i feel that it is part of a strong
collective.  in houston or portland paying people isnt something that is
seen as beneficail or even thought of as an option.  in nyc and urbana
champaign things are different, the direction of those collectives have
moved to a different sphere and it works for them and their projects to
pay some folks.  both of those imc's do good work.  houston and portland
also do good work.

if we try to create a situation where every imc is expected to be the
same in the way that they promote/create/empower independant media we
come closer to a hierarchy and power body.  i dont claim to know
anything about nyc or uc and thats, but i trust that the folks that work
with those colelctives do understand and would be right enough in their
thinking to address a problem with paying people should it arise.

i would like to accept that houston has made this proposal.  i think it
is great.  i think it has made its point.  at a face to face meeting in
austin, the room was obviously divided.  perhaps we can work on some
infrastructure for us-imc and create more of an understanding and
symbiotic relationship with each other.  lets find the common points
that we adhere to and then propagate them work together, make media and
take down our oppressors.

it is so easy to create conflict within our small communities, and so
hard to face the reality that we are fighting a real enemy and that we
know who that enemy is.  i would really love it if we could shift our
focus from internally disputing and talking/writing emails to real
action in our communities and have THAT reflecting on this common tool
us-imc. I would love it if all we talked about were our successes and
from that good feeling we found ways to interact and understand each
other as unique humans and collectives.
bht
portland imc volunteer