[IMC-US] VISIONING: rambles of what i would like the site to be...

bht bht at indymedia.org
Sun Mar 27 11:00:33 CST 2005

I was looking at US IMC this morning and thinking about the irc meeting
the other day.  One thing that was talked about but never addressed was
what the content for US IMC should be.  Nick from Houston repeatedly
bought up how a local imc could choose which features from its site were
syndicated to US IMC.  And which syndicated features were promoted, and
what the process for that was.

I responded to it a few times and what came out of it was really the
vision that I have had for US IMC that I may have never said succinctly
and perhaps I can offer this as an email of vision that I would like to
be responded to not contending anything stated, but with what other
folks consider their vision for the site is.
 --
bht's vision for us imc :-)

I have always wanted a site where we as folks in the us could find out
what is going on around the us.  I know that many folks care about
issues and report on issues outside of the us and we all have different
ideas of what constitutes being us relevant.  I was looking down the
feature wire and there is the feature:  Guatemala Responds to CAFTA.  I
like this feature and think that it is grreat.

However, I think this story belongs on indymedia.org.  That is another
thing that has been eating away since the beginning, what is the
relationship of us imc to indy.org?  Anyway, I would like to see all
features from us based imc's syndicated to the wire so we as media
activists and folks looking for whats going on in this country can find
out whats going on where in this country.  Even if it is a benefit in
Rochester for a local group there.

I dont look at us imc as a means to be a national media that reports of
world issues.  I like the idea of local imc's because I can get intimate
information about a place that I am not from.  If i look at the
Oregonian (major portland newspaper) or the New York Times, the both
have the same stories, regardless of them being on opposite sides of the
country.  As people, and as media activists, we should be able to note
that this is a brainwashing, that corporate media is trying to tell
everyone what is important.  and with that trying to keep people
unfocused on things that are probably more important like local issues.

i think that local imc's should be local imc's.  and i think a local
imc's focus should be the locale that it is in.  i think that reporting
from areas that are not local are great as well.  for example, portland
imc gets some great original writing from a person haiti, and it is
featured every time a new story comes out.  i like to think oftentimes
of how things were before telecommunications and national news and
such.  when people learned about what happened elsewhere from travellers
and friends bringing news from other places.

i do not follow major media at all.  it is funny, because i have no idea
what is going on in the world even though as a 'media activist' some
assume that i would have a better grasp than most on what is happening
int he world.  but some friends came up from san francisco the other day
and we sat in my living room and one of them mentioned the schiavo
case.  i knew nothing about it, only that as i passed the newspaper
boxes on the street it has been the headline for days.  she mentioned it
and i asked what that meant because, admittedly, i had no clue
whatsoever.  then after that discussion we went on to talk about other
things, news from folks int he room that had been travelling recently.
and even though it was all 'old' news or of things past, it was great to
hear about them.

i dont think that we should go back to that type of media dissemination
just yet.  but i do think that we should recognize the importnat things
that occur where we live, the small battles that happen every day and
tell people about that through our websites.  instead of trying to tell
people about what happens in other parts of the world through these
websites.  (i have been told that many imc's and imcista have editorial
colletives that collectively write the center column features for their
site as news, and this part is based directly on that.)

okay, wrapping it up.  i think we should be local imc's more.  and
really find out for ourselves what it means to be a local imc.  and that
us imc should conglomerate the local things happening around the country
and not try to be a national media that offers global coverage.  and
this is just how i feel about things, not necessarily representative of
anyone else in portland.

--

now, back to parts of emails that open comment can be on.  thanks to
emily for doing the work on the outreach page, now it would be great if