[IMC-US] personal reprtback for indy folks about theNationalCOnference on Media Reform.

Sakura Saunders ssrecords at gmail.com
Wed May 18 21:32:16 CDT 2005

Hi all,
I agree with the critiques of the conference that have already been voiced,
so I will make my comments short. I think that a good way that we could
engage the media reform 'movement' is by making them aware of what our media
reform priorities are, from a media justice perspective. For example, we
could encourage them to use their resources to build community wireless
networks, as they did in Urbana-Champaign, or get them to sponser networking
amongst community radio stations, as they will at the Grassroots Radio
Conference this August. We could also emphasize that securing the
soon-to-be-vacated analogue tv spectrum for unlicensed use is a better use
of their lobbying might than fighting media ownership limits.
I don't believe that Free Press can be reformed into a media justice
institution, but there are reforms that can foster greater access to media
production and localism, ideals that are supported by the Indymedia network.
Free Press has many resources, but, judging by their inability to see the
connection between a police oversight committee and media reform....they
don't have a clue.
-Sakura
SF Bay Area Indymedia volunteer

--
"Believing that they possess consciousness, men have not exerted themselves
very much to acquire it." - Nietzsche, The Gay Science