[IMC-US] personal reprtback for indy folks about theNationalCOnference on Media Reform.

Sakura Saunders ssrecords at gmail.com
Thu May 19 06:16:47 CDT 2005

I just wanted to make one more additional point regarding my comments about
how we could constructively critique the Media Reform movement, motivated by
my comment about how Free Press could use their lobbying might. I think that
having basing your lobbying strength in a bunch of high paid lobbyists with
good ideas is a shallow. When Prometheus lobbies, they organize a bunch of
real people who either already have or really want (and have the community
support for) low power radio stations to go to Congress or the FCC. This
provides an army of volunteer lobbyists who are far more effective than the
paid suits, plus it further invests people in their media projects at home.
With respect to press, good stories get far more attention than good ideas,
which are lucky to get a quote and don't always appeal to those who aren't
already interested in policy. Malkia's speech was the highlight for me at
this last conference, and I believe that her opening up with a personal
story is what made her speech so effective and well received. Perhaps we
should point out this angle to emphasize the need to support media projects
at the community level.
-sakura