[IMC-US] personal reprtback for indy folks about theNationalCOnference on Media Reform.

Chris Anderson chanders_imc at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 15:38:27 CDT 2005

But I thought that UC-IMC was the headquarters of
Indymedia?? Thats not a coastal IMC ;)

Seriously, though, for anyone interested in a really
insightful essay on the origins and consequences of
historical dominance of New York City for US
communications, people should check out

James W. Carey, “Space, Time, and Communications: A
Tribute to Harold Innis,” Communication as Culture:
Essays on Media and Society (Winchester, MA: Unwin
Hyman, 1989)

Espeically pgs 152-156

The only thing I would add to Emily's email is that,
although the coastal imc's may have many advantages
(though I'd be interested to hear more specifics on
why people think this is so) they are often also
dealing with situations where they are only one of
dozens if not hundreds of so-called "alternative
media" voices in a geographic reigon. this is
esepcially true in a place like nyc, where you not
only have 2 "alt" weekly papers and 5 dailies, but at
least 3 "mainstream" lgbt weeklies, literally hundreds
of ethnic presses, blogs out the wazoo, historicaly
powerful and well read african-american papers, labor
papers, pacifica, the home of democracy now, various
stalinist rags that come out regularly, and on and on.

Beautiful, but also its tough for indymedia to make
much of a dent sometimes. I've always argued that
IMC's away from the coasts can be much more
cost-effective in terms of their impact because they
are sometimes one of the only games in town.

So I guess what I mean is, I see the frustration, but
I also see great opprotunity too.

chris