[Imc] Library Stuff

Kate McDowell mcdowell at hera.itg.uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 15 21:04:30 UTC 2000

Great suggestion, Molly.  I'm compiling the list (I'll probably have time
tomorrow) and sending it on to Ellen, who is going to check a list of
Urbana Free holdings.

Since the librarians are working on a collection development/weeding
policy, it might be better to a) get you (Molly) to come on board with the
radical librarians if you want to do this or b) consider it an awesome
suggestion which we rad librarians will be happy to take up after we get
that policy drafted. Although I'll be out of town, we have a meeting
centering around issues of what we should collect (and, since we want a
policy, what we won't collect) coming up on Jan. 11th.

Although drafting a policy first may seem odd to folks outside of
library-land, I think it's the best way to insure that we have a long-term
vision for how the resources and collection will evolve and grow.  In all
cases, it seems to me that it's better to think big first, so that we
imagine more snags before we hit them.

By the way, Paul, Jan 24 seems like tomorrow to me, literally.  Let me
voice my joyousness at having such a grand planning margin for this trip!

Kate McD