[Imc] Meeting notes April 1, 2001

Peter Miller peterm at shout.net
Sun Apr 1 19:20:37 UTC 2001

IMC Notes
4/1/01
at 218 W. Main (The IMC)

Attending (10 present):  Paul Riismandel, Brent McDonald, Mike Lehman,
Peter Miller, Brian Hagy, Ellen Knutsen, Mark Enslin, Sascha Meinrath,
Sehvilla Mann, Mitra, Cherie Lyn.

Mike Lehman facilitated.

Meeting began at 12:10 p.m.

Issues
Space usage by heavy internet-user Doug was discussed.  While Paul R. was
at the IMC, Doug made a phone call yelled at the person on the receiving end.

Should we require that people using the IMC be doing media
production-related work?  Should we put a 20-minute time limit on computer
use if someone is waiting to use it?  Should we post a policy on space
use?  How should we handle/keep track of computer use?

Mark Enslin:  implementing a policy to indirectly push Doug out of the IMC
isn't a good way to handle the situation.  We should address the issue
directly.

Brian Hagy:  A problem with Doug's computer use is that he's impatient with
the slow computer, so he turns it off (which he shouldn't do), messing up
the computer.

Paul Riismandel:  If nobody else is using the computer, people off the
street--including Doug--should be able to use it.  IMC shouldn't be a
"half-way house."

Sehvilla: Doesn't feel safe staffing the IMC if Doug's around.

The group agreed on the following criteria for a computer use policy.
-> Computer use policy good
-> Producers have priority
-> Damage to equipment = cause to ask someone to leave
-> Threats to staff = cause for eviction
-> Time limits on non-production usage when others are waiting
-> Sign-in sheets for computer use are necessary
-> Sign-in sheets should not contain a person's identity

-> No phone usage, except for IMC business

Regarding Dough, the group said the following:
-> Doug:  no real problems yet (except perhaps equipment abuse), so he
should continue to be allowed to use the computers.
-> Doug may have threatened people at the IDF.

Should we ask Doug to leave?

Sascha:  We're dealing with Doug's reputation and peoples' feelings about
safety.  Put up a sign saying, "Please be courteous to other computer
users."  Put up a sign saying "Phones are for IMC-related business."  Talk
to others (Mick Woolf at WEFT, and Molly Stentz (Co-op), and Robin Arbiter
(social worker who might know about Doug)) to ensure that Doug is the same
person who's been sighted at WEFT and the IDF. Talk to Doug ("We live in a
small community, and we're concerned about what we've heard about you.")

Mitra will make the signs.
Brent and Sascha will talk to Doug.
Paul Riismandel will talk to Mick, et. al.

We ask the Space Committee to write a computer use policy and a phone use
policy.

Space--It's getting dirty.  We need to remember to clean.  See the cleaning
schedule on the wall.

Noise:  We should try to finish loud concerts before 10 p.m. unless we've
cleared it with the landlord.  They've been very flexible about our need
for loud events, so let's be as accommodating as possible with them.

Display counters were installed.

Electric bill:  it doubled from February ($88) to March ($165).  (Recall
that the landlords are covering the first $175 in electric usage.)  We
should not turn off fluorescent lights because most of the energy usage
comes from turning them on and off (we may need to change the lighting in
the back to fix this).  We should turn off computers if they're not in use.

Finance--Going great!  We have our FIRST space rental money, one new
founding funder.  We have a retail license, and we're re-selling things
from Common Ground Food Co-op.  We buy things at a discount in return for
"advertising" the co-op.  People who want to sell their crafts should talk
to Sarah Kanouse.  Proceeds go: 80-20 for audio; 70-30 for art (see last
week's notes).

Minidisc Deck fundraiser (Paul K., Allette) raised enough to buy the
minidisc player and have $50 left over:)

Tech--Having a little trouble getting the staff computer on-line.  Zach's
on sabbatical and Brian's been busy.

Paul K. will do 2 post-production workshops in May 8, 15.  6:15 p.m. for
1.5 hours.

Advertising events on the website:  We should post our events on the
website (we haven't been doing this).  Maiko is programming a calendar for
the IMC, but we need to put our own events up on the site until it's
done.  Publish events as news stories.

Can we upload audio, yet?  No.  If you want to put an audio story on the
web, upload it to www.indymedia.org, then cross-post the link on the
urbana.indymedia.org site.  We need a "how to upload audio/video"
workshop.  Paul R. will try to plan it for the future.

Outreach--Paul R. is planning an orientation session, scheduled for April
21, noon - 2 p.m.  We'll try to encourage people to become members.  We
need people from each working group to come and participate (like the WEFT
airshifter training).   Working group members who want to make
presentations should contact Paul.

Community center planners will meet at the IMC.  Great opportunity to build
alliances with minority community members.  They're very excited about the
attention that IMC has given to their project.

News--WEFT's Friday Forum spot (Mondays from 6 - 7 p.m.) ends on April 16.
Kimberlie Kranich (on the WEFT programming committee) has solicited more
IMC programs.  The spot is open for the whole summer.

Climate survey reporting (Mark E., Crystal Marshall, Gina Langhout)
continues, and may turn into a much bigger project.

Library--No report.

Other Issues
Nader event--Sascha has received quite a bit of flack over the Nader
visit.  It's not an IMC event, it's a Green Party event, and they've set
the $40 entrance fee.  Bob Cook and Sascha are working to fund people who
can't pay for him/herself to attend.  Contact Bob
(bobcook at onthejob.net).  We're trying to make it accessible.

People who want to attend the event as press should be work with the News
Group (Sehvilla and Mark E. are liaisons).

Next Facilitator:  Sehvilla
Meeting adjourned at 1:10 p.m.