[Imc] News meeting notes April 1, 2001

Peter Miller peterm at shout.net
Sun Apr 1 19:31:36 UTC 2001

IMC News Meeting
April 1, 2001

Attending: Pauline B., Brent M., Jason C., Peter M., Molly S., Sascha M.

1. Review
2. Upcoming stories
3. WEFT/WILL proposals
4. Announcements

1. Last week:
a) Pauline and Sehvilla are finishing up the Wal-Mart reporting.  Planning
on writing something for the Octopus.  Pauline misplaced the photos; if
anyone finds them, please get them to Pauline.  Pauline is considering
talking to Ralph L, chair of the land use committe.

2. Upcoming Stories.

a) Elections are coming up on the 3rd.  We might want to write a
retrospective.  We should follow the Greens.

b) FTAA Teach-in: Friday, April 6.  Who will audio tape?

c) Champaign police chief's resignation.

d) April 12: Nader, 12:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. at IMC.  Paul K wants to do
audio.  Sascha will do audio.  Brent will do photography, video, and
captions for pictures.  We'll recommend that the Greens allow 3 people in
on press passes.

e) Follow-up on Mayoral campaign.

f) Jerry Landay is speaking at the IMC at 2 p.m., Saturday, April 6 on
strategies for how independent media can push into the
media-archy.  Danielle will emcee and ensure that it gets taped, but she
won't be taping it.

g) Tonight's Ward 5 debate (7:30 - 9 p.m.) will be recorded by Molly.

3. IMC News Group Proposed Goals

Danielle presented a proposal for IMC Local News on WEFT.  Seven
priorities: 5 minute news drop-in, fill WEFT's Friday Forum slot, more
producers for the Illinois Labor Hour, produce spots for Sidetrack, produce
"Ecoflash", write a weekly column for the Octopus, contribute to Black Thought.

How?  1) Go into journalism classes and find people who want to produce
real stuff.  2) Go to organizations and find people within to publish at
imc.  3) Get IMC a "guest-in-residence" spot at Allen Hall (now is the time
to apply).  4) Make a UIUC IMC arm that gets SORF funding.  5) Visit
writing groups that currently exist, and ask them to provide content.  6)
Add a carrot for other organizations to publish at IMC:  If they're posted
at IMC, they'll be re-published elsehwere--Octopus, WEFT, etc.

Priorities?
How do we handle outreach?  (Add it on to our other tasks?)
Pauline: Outreach-> do #2.  Try to find people to do the priorities, and
report back.  Priority-> Friday Forum, 5-minute drop-in.  ("Ecoflash" =
"Life in the Bike Lane" and is already being produced.)

Brent:  Priorities-> Courier/Friday
Forum.  Sidetrack.  Ecoflash.  Outreach-> Ensure people have business cards
and are distributing them.  Post a letter to the website inviting people to
post.  Campus group.

Jason: You're not producing things with the things you record. Put out
little "wrap"s--2 paragraph summaries, just to get some news out
there.  Priorities-> WEFT (that's your audience).  Pound into the public's
head that we're here.  We hit a lot of people with radio.

Sascha: Priorities-> Outreach-> .  No priorities.  Thinks we have the
resources to accomplish everything, if we just inspire people.  William
Gillespie has talked about an alternative press.

Molly: Outreach-> WEFT-equivalent of airshifter training.  Priorities->
Octopus column.

Peter: Outreach-> Contacting other groups.  Use trainings as a carrot for
media un-savvy groups.  Production-> Sidetrack.

Sehvilla: Production-> Courier/Friday Forum.  Octopus column.  Outreach->
glad we're talking about it.

Scott: Loves it all.

Danielle: Production-> Courier/Friday Forum.  Thinks it will be an engine
for this group.  (The little wraps are so easy to do...)  Others,
too.  Outreach-> Thinks we can get organizations to do wraps on their
events.  Wants to find a structure that works well for plugging the IMC
into the Courier.

The meeting continued...