[Imc] Progressive Calendar

Sandra Ahten spiritofsandra at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 20 15:41:09 UTC 2001

There has been suggestion for a "community calendar" or "progressive calendar" in the public i.  I have had experience doing weekly and monthly calendars with both the PRC and with the Octopus... so I thought I'd put in my two cents.

I think a logical way to proceed is to think of having a database of progressive events and then to think of how this information could be gathered and how it could be disseminated. The public i is one obvious means... but WEFT sorely lacks a community calendar and a decent "PSA" (public service announcement) system.  The web page would be much more up to the minute than a monthly newspaper and also we could think of having a one page bulliten board type calendar (like the Progressive calendar of the PRC used to be).  So if we had a system for gathering and sorting the information we could probably get it out to in at least 4 different ways.  We could probably also do "collective" newsreleases to the "dominent media" and get the info published in other venues/ ie get more coverage for the events themselves.

I envions that a database could be set up on a computer at the IMC and shift workers and others could enter the info from fliers, mailings, web postings and other various means. It could be a pretty straight forward routine type job.

I could be part of this but wonder if others are interested?  If so you could reply to me and I would be happy to set a meeting time, when we have four or more people who are willing to get be a part of it.  Until that time - I think the topic shouldn't be a "print" issue.

Sincerely,

Sandra