[Imc] Hide It?

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 21 08:46:08 UTC 2001

Mike,

I have no problem e-mailing these folks. In fact, it's in our policy:
"When the Steering Group is made aware of posts that should be hidden, it
should make a reasonable attempt must be made to contact the author of the
post in question and to explain the IMC's appropriate use policy, asking
for cooperation and compliance.... If after attempting contact with an
author posting inappropriately the Steering Group is unable to reach a
resolution with that poster, the Steering Group may hide any of that
author's posts as they deem necessary, according to this policy. "

And I don't think we're assuming any naivete on the part of this poster or
others.  But until we inform people directly we can't necessarily assume
they understand what we consider respectful behavior. Sure, we can make
assumptions or even form pretty good conclusions about whether or not we
think that poster has any respect for good-neighbor posting behavior, but
since we can't see into people's heads we are really just guessing.

I can say without a doubt that I have broken a social convention or "common
sense" rule at least once or twice in my life.  In some cases I was truly
naively ignorant about my transgressions, in others I was more aware, if
naive about the actual ramifications of my actions.  When pointed to my
wrong, however, I could and did choose to change my behavior.  Until we've
given that chance for someone to know and try better, then we don't really
know if s/he can or will do so.

That's the kind of benefit of the doubt I hope someone would afford me, and
so am willing to afford someone else--across the board and without
prejudice.  If someone wants to then screw that up then, fine, we can move
forward and they will reap the consequences of their own behavior.  But I
don't think it's fair or right to simply assume our message will fall upon
deaf ears until it has.  Maybe it seems futile to do so.. but then, what's
the harm?  If someone does become a "good neighbor" then there's a net gain
for everyone.

--Paul